• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The new Changeling prince versus the deposed former queen

She gets mid diffed. Thorax was already overpowering her with what he got from his love. If Pharnyx is remotely comparable to him (Which he is since it's on the profile), he won't have much more problems.

Tbh I never thought Pharynx was god tier. He's a changeling prince ig, but only by being related to Thorax, who wasn't anything special before becoming king. Becoming king maybe gave him powers, but not becoming a prince. And I don't think using his love is good reasoning for being 4-B in general. That's not a fighting power, and if Phaynx has already evolved, it's irrelevant. Also Chrysalis is more experienced with combat likely, and might know how to play on Pharynx's weakenesses.

TLDR Chrysalis probably wins.

Their love pushed back chrysalis so it's stronger physically, and I think it comes from their own power. Also pharynx can be aggressive when he needs to as well.

Actually, Pharynx almost certainly did gain a power boost by becoming prince. His transformation was clearly different than the other changelings. He became much taller than them and got those antlers. The only other changeling with antlers was his brother. His new state was clearly meant to make him stand out from the others and establish him as Thorax's number 2. Thorax is the only changeling who towers over him. It seems quite clear that his metamorphoses didn't just turn him into an evolved changeling, but an evolved changeling ruler. His stature and shorter antlers should indicate that, ironically, despite being the older and more abrasive brother, he is still somewhat inferior to Thorax. However, he should be stronger than all the others with the possible exception of Chrysalis, who, while unevolved, is (or was) a queen while Pharynx is only a prince. You are right about combat experience, though.

Iisdude1 said:
Their love pushed back chrysalis so it's stronger physically, and I think it comes from their own power. Also pharynx can be aggressive when he needs to as well.
They are empowered by love. The more love they have the stronger they are. No one cares if it's not a fighting power, it still enhances magic and fighting power in Changelings. The fact that love isn't a fighting power and Thorax's still btfo'd Chrysalis just makes this look all the more likely.

Iisdude1 said:
I feel like it's sort of the equivalent of what The Mane 6 did against Sombra in season 9. Because it was a positive emotion used for the right cause, it boosted the user's power significantly, and the changelings wouldn't normally be so powerful.

Lightbuster30 said:
They are empowered by love. The more love they have the stronger they are. No one cares if it's not a fighting power, it still enhances magic and fighting power in Changelings. The fact that love isn't a fighting power and Thorax's still btfo'd Chrysalis just makes this look all the more likely.
But that's when they absorb it. We never saw any indication before releasing his love that Thorax had become stronger after befriending the Crystal Empire. The new form of feeding seems to be just sustenance instead of a boost.

They "consume" love and gain power by consuming it. They don't "absorb" it. Every single instance of taking love is referred to in words that imply eating. They feed on love to satisfy hunger and grow stronger, not one without the other. As usual: That's pure headcanon.

As far as not being portrayed as stronger: Easily PIS. We know and are told for a fact that Changelings get stronger with the more love they feed on. This is constantly and consistently thrown in our faces. Sharing and stealing love is the exact same thing for Changelings: Feeding. The difference is that shared love is given freely, obviously, whereas the old method was done through trickery. But the end result is still the same: The Changelings feed and are sustained. Sure, maybe you could argue that only stole love grants an increase in power and not when it's shared....but that's pure headcanon and never once implied to be a factor.

That's what I meant by absorb. And even if I'm wrong, there is still definitely a difference between releasing all your love and fighting with love. Because if Thorax was Chrysalis level before transforming, he wouldn't have been trapped. It makes sense that a huge explosion of all of his love would be stronger than his usual power, either pre or post transformation.

Well, there's the fact that the starved changelings apparently fought better than the well fed, transformed changelings, who had the support of Starlight and Thorax, who is supposedly even stronger than their previous leader. Obviously they're out of practice, but if they really do have the power they do when love boosted, with their other advantages, they should've at least done as well.

Then why make the distinction as though it matters? There is definitely not a difference between fighting with love and releasing it. It's not more powerful than normal just because he's using it differently, his love is just that powerful in general. Thorax getting trapped is plot-induced stupidity and not an example that proves your point since, once again, we know all Changelings get stronger with more love, and he had enough to transform into a Monarch and slam the Queen into the throne. It's nonsensical for us to know what love does to enhance strength yet somehow not do it for Thorax even a bit. It's plot-induced stupidity. End of discussion.

The Maulwurf had a thick enough hide to tank even Starlight's blasts. No one is going to do very well against that thing. And if it can tank Starlight's blasts, then the pre-evolved Changelings likely had to defeat it in ways that didn't involve brute strength. You know, like they did in the very first episode to feature the Maulwurf?

It's because it's a release of all of it at once compared to just using it steadily. That is reason enough to think it's different. Stop claiming everything that doesn't go with your ideas to be PIS.

But they had to figure it out in the moment. So that means they didn't have a predetermined plan. In the writer's minds, Starlight isn't millions of times stronger than unevolved changelings, so they probably thought the trained unevolved changelings all working together could physically overpower threats like the Maulwurf that Starlight couldn't.

Frieza force soldier 100 said:
The OTHER changelings were out of practice because they were no longer violent, yes. Pharynx wasn't. He was much more abrasive than the others and stayed ready for combat.
But I'm saying evolved changelings shouldn't be weaker than they used to be if sharing love is such a big factor in power. It's different because Pharynx is a prince but he's significantly smaller than Thorax so you can't use that to scale him to Chrysalis.

GokuSparkle said:
It's because it's a release of all of it at once compared to just using it steadily. That is reason enough to think it's different. Stop claiming everything that doesn't go with your ideas to be PIS.
But they had to figure it out in the moment. So that means they didn't have a predetermined plan. In the writer's minds, Starlight isn't millions of times stronger than unevolved changelings, so they probably thought the trained unevolved changelings all working together could physically overpower threats like the Maulwurf that Starlight couldn't.
Yeah, no, nowhere is it stated or implied Changelings are empowered "steadily" by their love. That's complete headcanon. No. I'm not going to stop calling things against my ideas plot-induced stupidity because thats exactly what they are. We're shown firsthand how strong Thorax's love can be. He blasted Chrysalis backwards, he transformed into a monarch, his hunger was sated forever while his fellow Changelings we're starving. He had enough love that parts of his body were already tranforming. Yet he isn't treated as stronger as most Changelings by any amount. Not by any amount. This completely and utterly flies in the face of what is constantly told to our faces: Love makes them stronger. We know it makes them stronger. We're told it makes them stronger. We're show it makes them stronger. I'll stop calling plot-induced stupidity when I stop seeing it.

That doesn't mean they physically overpowered it in the past.

Lightbuster30 said:
Also, in this instance, it really doesn't matter if the writers didn't think about Starlight being far more powerful than the Changelings. She is. Them "possibly" thinking the pre-evolved Changelings could overpower the Maulwurf doesn't mean they actually can. But hey, if you really wanna argue author intent, then Applejack isn't even wall level. But you and I both know how idiotic that is.
That's a different kind of author intent. Author intent really doesn't work when it comes to actual strengths and feats, but I think they usually know how characters compare to others in their own verse.

I think they did. Maybe they don't know the exact scaling chain, but it should be roughly correct. There's a reason why author statements with how characters compared to others are used on the site.

They had Tirek no sell Starswirl's attacks yet get staggered by Rarity hard enough to drop Twilight. They had all three villains struggle with the Wonderbolts when second form Tirek clowned all over them. They clearly have no idea how to powerscale.

You can't even argue they were being messed with by the other species because none of that stops Tirek from paralyzing them en mass like he did the Wonderbolts and just taking their magic. And yes, creatures like dragons are said to have magic.

CinnabarManx421 said:
No Tirek's magic was glowing when they got paralysed so that was him.
Not only are his horns glowing, but the aura is pretty blatantly Tireks. There's no mistaking that orange aura. Not to mention you can even see Tirek fling his head fowards as the aura appears around the pegasi. I thought it was obvious who stopped them.

Lightbuster30 said:
They had Tirek no sell Starswirl's attacks yet get staggered by Rarity hard enough to drop Twilight. They had all three villains struggle with the Wonderbolts when second form Tirek clowned all over them. They clearly have no idea how to powerscale.
You can't even argue they were being messed with by the other species because none of that stops Tirek from paralyzing them en mass like he did the Wonderbolts and just taking their magic. And yes, creatures like dragons are said to have magic.
We agreed the mane 6 got a buff right? Or PIS? I don't think the writers actually think Rarity is stronger than Starswirl. It's just that they ignore powerscaling sometimes when it's necessary for the sake of the plot. If they wanted, the writers could've just said the maulwurf was way stronger than anything the changelings fought before. Also that wasn't a direct clash of power.

Forgetting abilities isn't the same as not knowing how to powerscale.

No we didn't. If I did then I probably initially agreed without paying attention to what I was saying. In no way shape or form do I tolerate or believe in the idea of any of the Mane 5 even remotely scaling to the top tiers; Except maybe Rainbow Dash and Applejack, and that's a huge maybe. Ignoring powerscaling is not an excuse. What wasn't a direct clash of power? Tirek and the Wonderbolts? Don't care. He still considered them an incredible nuisance that couldn't simply be blasted away.

You can't prove he simply "forgot his powers". He consistiently holds down his foes with telekinesis to incapacitate them.

So is every instance where they don't use their hax to wrap up a situation, but we still treat them as mentally incapable of anything more than performing a common laser.

Whatever, that's just one example of fucky powerscaling from the writers out of dozens.

Back