• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Real World Discussion Thread

A skunk's stink spray isn't poisonous as far as I'm aware.

So uhh... Apparently T. Rexes are intelligent: https://www.sciencealert.com/weve-probably-been-wrong-about-t-rex-again-new-study-says

The fug are we gonna do about that?
Funny lol.

Keep in mind what goes into the studies and the fact that we're digging up scarce cases of prehistoric animals accidentally positioning themselves to leave a track on the fossil record. Which is how we know that these animals exist.

The study is pretty recent, so maybe give it a month or two and check their methodology first before jumping to conclusions. Though since dino carnivores are smarter than their prey on average, I wouldn't be surprised if the T. Rex was that intelligent at High Animalistic.

Funny lol.

Keep in mind what goes into the studies and the fact that we're digging up scarce cases of prehistoric animals accidentally positioning themselves to leave a track on the fossil record. Which is how we know that these animals exist.

The study is pretty recent, so maybe give it a month or two and check their methodology first before jumping to conclusions. Though since dino carnivores are smarter than their prey on average, I wouldn't be surprised if the T. Rex was that intelligent at High Animalistic.
No need. We got the methodology (based on their hypothetical neurology) and there is already controversy claiming that neurology alone isn't enough to determine an extinct creature's intelligence. I don't think T. Rexes are exactly going to stack up to primates, although at the very least there would be one favorable trait going for the animal (them being social animals).

I was wondering if anybody could answer a question I have about Reactions and Perceptions. The Star-Nosed Mole page says that it has subsonic reactions, as after detecting an object. it can discern it from edible to inedible food in 25-8 milliseconds. However, doesn’t a reaction require the mole to have performed some sort of action in that time frame for it to work? To perceive something is to simply sense its presence and nothing more, while to react to an event is to do something in response to the stimuli. The mole’s feat seems to be between these two definitions.

I was wondering if anybody could answer a question I have about Reactions and Perceptions. The Star-Nosed Mole page says that it has subsonic reactions, as after detecting an object. it can discern it from edible to inedible food in 25-8 milliseconds. However, doesn’t a reaction require the mole to have performed some sort of action in that time frame for it to work? To perceive something is to simply sense its presence and nothing more, while to react to an event is to do something in response to the stimuli. The mole’s feat seems to be between these two definitions.
Then that's more of a perception feat than a reaction feat.

the real world page says non-combat stuff isn't allowed, but...
What about a profile for a smartphone
A lot of characters have smartphones too so would someone like Summer Smith from Rick and Morty have some kind of extrasensory perception or sound manip lol.

I'm also guessing information analysis for the smartphone in other verses would only apply to things that exist within the character's own verse

the real world page says non-combat stuff isn't allowed, but...
What about a profile for a smartphone
A lot of characters have smartphones too so would someone like Summer Smith from Rick and Morty have some kind of extrasensory perception or sound manip lol.

I'm also guessing information analysis for the smartphone in other verses would only apply to things that exist within the character's own verse
Depends on how good of a weapon/reference point a smartphone is lol

Ok. Elaborating on the capabilities of a smartphone, they add a bit of weight and possibly speed to your strikes with the fact that they're made of hard material, so they should be at least 10-B as a weapon (a guy in quora that has martial arts training can attest to this). Though I predict that since they're not commonly used as a weapon, I don't think it would be allowed. Though we do have cases of them being turned into self-defense weapons

In terms of durability, it's pretty much a glass cannon as phones can only shrug off a fall 30 ft into a solid surface and still be usable despite cracks. If you want to go farther with durability standard, they only took little damage from dropping 3 ft onto a hard surface. With quick research, they should have 10-C GPE durability at best.

And shouldn't the phone have summoning for it's ability to call allies and 911?

Depends on how good of a weapon/reference point a smartphone is lol
I'd imagine it's mainly a "hax" thing, since smartphones are usually standard equipment for a lot of characters, it of course let's them use the internet and such and a bunch of other things.
And shouldn't the phone have summoning for it's ability to call allies and 911?
I didn't put that there since I assumed that just isn't allowed lol, but seeing the SBA, it could be? How many people actually consider a character calling the police to help when they're vs debating lmao (also CH addition?)

I'd imagine it's mainly a "hax" thing, since smartphones are usually standard equipment for a lot of characters, it of course let's them use the internet and such and a bunch of other things.

I didn't put that there since I assumed that just isn't allowed lol, but seeing the SBA, it could be? How many people actually consider a character calling the police to help when they're vs debating lmao (also CH addition?)
SBA, no since the defacto summons take time to arrive. The summoning can't be a reliable method of fighting in matches. Indexing, yes for the phone, but maybe for CH. We have profiles that have summoning as an ability like Carl Johnson's summoning. At the same time, a phone is apart of a person's standard equipment, meaning anyone can use the ability, which would mean that we may not be able to leave the summoning ability there professionally and on a serious profile.

Ok. Elaborating on the capabilities of a smartphone, they add a bit of weight and possibly speed to your strikes with the fact that they're made of hard material, so they should be at least 10-B as a weapon (a guy in quora that has martial arts training can attest to this). Though I predict that since they're not commonly used as a weapon, I don't think it would be allowed. Though we do have cases of them being turned into self-defense weapons

In terms of durability, it's pretty much a glass cannon as phones can only shrug off a fall 30 ft into a solid surface and still be usable despite cracks. If you want to go farther with durability standard, they only took little damage from dropping 3 ft onto a hard surface. With quick research, they should have 10-C GPE durability at best.
Phones are very hard and is not that easy to be destroyed. Someone can't punch through an phone but slam it to break. (Not sure about kicks though)

Phones are very hard and is not that easy to be destroyed. Someone can't punch through an phone but slam it to break. (Not sure about kicks though)
Exactly what I said, but with only a paragraph and common sense. They would most certainly be one-shotted by kicks since they can quite easily one-shot people by full strikes to the head.

Nevermind my comments about star-nosed moles. Apparently their ability to identify food is actually the amount of time it takes for them to begin pursuing prey after making contact with them: "The duration of the mole's touch to a prey item is only 25 milliseconds. During this time, information from the star must be transmitted through three neurons to the neocortex, the decision to capture the food must be made, motor commands to foveate with the star must be transmitted to the musculature, and muscle contraction must occur to guide the star to the appropriate location."

I also have something to say about the Banded Archerfish and their intelligence. Archerfishes are considered to be tool users by many scientists. They can manipulate everything about their jet, including, speed, angle, distance, and power. This species in particular was documented shooting in a way that made the back of the jet fast enough to catch up to the front, forming a giant amalgamation of water to attack prey. They can alter the time that this morphing of the spit takes place when accounting for distance to make sure that it happens right before impact. Got the info from here. Would you consider this to be High-Animalistic?

Well, then what are the cons to indexing poisons specifically?
I mean I don't have any off the top of my head since we're usually very informative about real world profiles so its not like it would be indexed in a way that should be problematic aside from it being "omg poison" but like in that case we have weapons of mass destruction and viruses listed too so like meh🤷 i say go for it

I mean I don't have any off the top of my head since we're usually very informative about real world profiles so its not like it would be indexed in a way that should be problematic aside from it being "omg poison" but like in that case we have weapons of mass destruction and viruses listed too so like meh🤷 i say go for it
Sounds like something worthy to ask in a Q&A or staff thread post. Are poisons allowed by the rules? We don't allow ordinary vehicles, but we can literally index Toyotas made for war. I don't recall the rules allowing poisons as profiles.

How often do we see IRL poisons in fiction? Do we need poisons as a reference point?

One more thing about star-nosed moles: They can create, hold, and breathe in bubbles created from their nose to sniff out prey, effectively smelling underwater.
Could this be Water Manipulation as well as Type 4 Non-Standard Breathing?
An unwritten rule here is that abilities are supposed to be disinct and above regular people.

The way you described the ability is more enhanced smell in the enhanced senses section. Any person can hold their breath and breath in and out bubbles underwater, not sniff in water.

Type 4 nonstandard breathing's air pocket isn't about breathing in standard breathed out bubbles, it's more akin to air bubbles in ships. If you can create a body of breathable air in an environment that allows you to breathe in longer and more healthily than a normal person, that's type 4 nonstandard breathing.

TL;DR, no water manip or nonstandard breathing due to the reasons stated in these paragraphs.

I agree with your refutation of type 4 nonstandard breathing, but I still think that they have some sort of proficiency with handling the bubble itself. Normally, breathing out a bubble and sniffing it back in would be impossible, as it would drift away very quickly. Star-nosed moles can hold these bubbles with their snouts to stop them from floating into somewhere else.

Last edited:
I agree with your refutation of type for nonstandard breathing, but I still think that they have some sort of proficiency with handling the bubble itself. Normally, breathing out a bubble and sniffing it back in would be impossible, as it would drift away very quickly. Star-nosed moles can hold these bubbles with their snouts to stop them from floating into somewhere else.
That would be a form of minor air manipulation.

Alr...makes sense. But I don't see how that isn't nonstandard breathing type 4. Anybody can breathe in/out a bubble, but they don't have the dexterity to hold one and inhale it.
Anyone can inhale a bubble. Holding a bubble is still air manipulation, not breathing in stuff for nonstandard breathing.

If the bubble made in question allows an entity to breathe in water way longer than a normal person would, nonstandard breathing type 4 should count.

After reflecting on the page and the responses, this is what I gathered:
-In order for Type 4 NS breathing to exist, the user must not only use air manipulation to handle it but also to create it in a way that the average person couldn't.
-The average person can inhale and exhale bubbles, so the star-nosed mole's ability will only qualify for minor air manipulation
Is that the reason?

Last edited:
After reflecting on the page and the responses, this is what I gathered:
-In order for Type 4 NS breathing to exist, the user must not only use air manipulation to handle it but also to create it in a way that the average person couldn't.
-The average person can inhale and exhale bubbles, so the star-nosed mole's ability will only qualify for minor air manipulation
Is that the reason?
Yep.

Back