• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I think I've heard of it. Or at least, read its tags. Did it have faulty preschooler English?

Why though? Do they care so little about their fanfictions that they don't even bother to make it readable?

I gurantee you that since many of these authors have not been in high school or have partaked in English classes, their skill in grammar is subpar and it causes their stories to become unbearable to read

IIRC their only response to those types of criticism is "i'l lOOk fOr a bEtA", "englIsh is nOt my fIrst lAngUAgE", "thIs is my fIrst tIme", etc.

Even though you could use the internet to proof read some stuff and even improve later on.

IIRC their only response to those types of criticism is "i'l lOOk fOr a bEtA", "englIsh is nOt my fIrst lAngUAgE", "thIs is my fIrst tIme", etc.

Even though you could use the internet to proof read some stuff and even improve later on.
English is not my first language either but I find that excuse embarrassing. At least they should make the effort to make it readable.

But no, they're too busy trying to get their story of Naruto Kurosaki boning the universe with his 20 Inch D onto the Internet.

BTW can I just say that I find it a little bit ridiculous that a lot of these fanfics use Japanese pronunciations like kun, san, sama, etc. when the story is English? Obviously those would be words you see in a Japanese dub, but if you're going to write in English use ******* English words

Yeah and especially hate it when in some Naruto fanfics, he'll say dattebayo instead of believe it because that's what he says in Japanese. Now keep in mind the issue for me isn't the usage of Japanese words, lots of stories do that, my issue is if the story is in English or another language then why bother adding in these titles or expressions when your own language has it's own titles and expressions? Not to mention if you want to convey that a character is speaking in a loving, respectful or neutral tone then write down what the character is saying and feeling instead of these foreign expressions

Using Lord and Sama, like one doesn't convey what the other does already...

Oh yeah right that does sound not only redundant to say but I gurantee you that they do it just to sound fancy and sophisticated, well about as sophisticated as one can make a story with harems, edgy bashing and gore.

Where did this whole Gamer power crap come from? I can imagine that while it has it's own advantages, it'd probably be one of the last power sources I'd ever give my mary s- I mean awesome main character.

I think The Gamer made it popular but I'm not sure. It's pretty old.

What's your opinion on Gamer fanfics Planck? Mediocre or garbage? Because the one I shared is definitely in the later, given all the incest and gender bending to warrant a massive harem according to this writer

I read what was possibly the original story on which they were based and it was meh.

Most of them are just trying to make a character as overpowered as possible. Those that don't usually fall flat or make the gamer element really minor. All in all, a very hard concept to get right.

Yeah and especially hate it when in some Naruto fanfics, he'll say dattebayo instead of believe it because that's what he says in Japanese. Now keep in mind the issue for me isn't the usage of Japanese words, lots of stories do that, my issue is if the story is in English or another language then why bother adding in these titles or expressions when your own language has it's own titles and expressions? Not to mention if you want to convey that a character is speaking in a loving, respectful or neutral tone then write down what the character is saying and feeling instead of these foreign expressions
I mean if the world is set in Japan or a Feudal Japanese setting I think these authors were going with the whole accurate Japanese style of speaking even though its an English fanfic. I mean given on how sometimes in real life they do say sama or dono in old time Japanese though the problem is that in English a lot of these phrases get lost and would not feel authentic Japanese. Or that if it was set in Japan but with different way of titles of a different country it would be kinda weird and not really making sense I mean imagine in Naruto, and other Japan based anime say other country way of expressions?

Though the sad thing is that they use it and make such a horrible fanfic with Harem, bashing and other stupid crap, that downgrades the fanfic. It's a shame because I was writing with the Japanese wording and my fanfic was based on a fusion fic of InuYasha, Demon Slayer, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and many other Feudal Japan set Anime and games where these stuff would crop up but sadly now thanks to these shitty fanfics I feel like I would be insulted if I used it even though I am using it to tell a story on how olden Japan was like and the interesting world fusions.

I mean if the world is set in Japan or a Feudal Japanese setting I think these authors were going with the whole accurate Japanese style of speaking even though its an English fanfic. I mean given on how sometimes in real life they do say sama or dono in old time Japanese though the problem is that in English a lot of these phrases get lost and would not feel authentic Japanese. Or that if it was set in Japan but with different way of titles of a different country it would be kinda weird and not really making sense I mean imagine in Naruto, and other Japan based anime say other country way of expressions?

Though the sad thing is that they use it and make such a horrible fanfic with Harem, bashing and other stupid crap, that downgrades the fanfic. It's a shame because I was writing with the Japanese wording and my fanfic was based on a fusion fic of InuYasha, Demon Slayer, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and many other Feudal Japan set Anime and games where these stuff would crop up but sadly now thanks to these shitty fanfics I feel like I would be insulted if I used it even though I am using it to tell a story on how olden Japan was like and the interesting world fusions.
That would be nice if used right, though pure English can still get the message across just fine imo, but unfortunately many of these are used in stuff as asinine as.....sigh......Harry Potter.

In my personal opinion, I don't mind with using the suffix such as (sama, san, kun, chan, etc) on enlish language fanfic, IF they done it right.

Using suffix is more of a culture of Japan, and fanfic author are free trying to follow it or not. But of course, this doesn't apply to every single franchies out there. Using japanese suffix on a fanfic from a franchies that isn't originate from Japan is obviously wrong (Imagine a RWBY fanfic using the japanese suffix, even though they don't originate from Japan). But using it on franchies originated from Japan is optional, depending on the author's taste.

There is also the fact that using japanese suffix is more fitting for a certain characters. Let's use Madoka as an example:
  • Madoka is your average polite girl who uses the suffix (san, sama, senpai, dono) when she is being respectful/formal to others (Such when she uses either "san or senpai" after Mami's name and using "san" during her forst conversation with Homura).
  • When talking to someone she personally know and comfortably being casual around them, she will uses the suffix "chan" for a girl and "kun" for a boy. (She refers Sayaka as "Sayaka-chan" since they both are childhood friend and there is no need for formalities with them.)

I cannot imagine Madoka talking to Mami without adding the suffix since it doesn't fit with her character at all. And using the english term such as (Madam, Miss) just sounds wrong IMO (it made Mami sounds like a mid-twenties woman and not Madoka's classmate). Heck, even some anime english subtitles still uses the japanese suffix too.

All in all, there is actually nothing wrong with using japanese term on english language fanfic. It just, there are certain circumstances that should be followed to make it work.

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, I don't mind with using the suffix such as (sama, san, kun, chan, etc) on enlish language fanfic, IF they done it right.

Using suffix is more of a culture of Japan, and fanfic author are free trying to follow it or not. But of course, this doesn't apply to every single franchies out there. Using japanese suffix on a fanfic from a franchies that isn't originate from Japan is obviously wrong (Imagine a RWBY fanfic using the japanese suffix, even though they don't originate from Japan). But using it on franchies originated from Japan is optional, depending on the author's taste.

There is also the fact that using japanese suffix is more fitting for a certain characters. Let's use Madoka as an example:
  • Madoka is your average polite girl who uses the suffix (san, sama, senpai, dono) when she is being respectful/formal to others (Such when she uses either "san or senpai" after Mami's name and using "san" during her forst conversation with Homura).
  • When talking to someone she personally know and comfortably being casual around them, she will uses the suffix "chan" for a girl and "kun" for a boy. (She refers Sayaka as "Sayaka-chan" since they both are childhood friend and there is no need for formalities with them.)

I cannot imagine Madoka talking to Mami without adding the suffix since it doesn't fit with her character at all. And using the english term such as (Madam, Miss) just sounds wrong IMO (it made Mami sounds like a mid-twenties woman and not Madoka's classmate). Heck, even some anime english subtitles still uses the japanese suffix too.

All in all, there is actually nothing wrong with using japanese term on english language fanfic. It just, there are certain circumstances that should be followed to make it work.
That I agree with since quite a few characters use the Japanese suffix as part of their character and without just seems wrong, I mean if the authors do it right and not use it in a non Japanese world setting like say Power Rangers, RWBY, Hellsing Ultimate, Harry Potter and other non Japanese setting would be just dumb and weird because they have their own way of suffix and speaking.

However for series like Naruto, Ruroni Kenshin, Demon Slayer, InuYasha, My Hero Academia, Bleach, and many other Japanese based setting of a story it would make sense to have the Japanese suffix because it fits in that world. Hell the first four regions of Pokemon: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are all based on Japan so they would have Japanese suffix while the other regions would have more Western way of speaking.

For example in Pakistan imagine I remove the suffix and saying of respect to elders and family members of such as Ali Lala (Lala is a sign of big brother) with the British way or America it would be jarring and wrong since it would be rooted in the culture of where the story is set so it would make sense for Japanese suffix to be well known in a very Japanese setting and be used often.

But overall like @Beast_Zero_Gudako said it depends on the way you use it and on how the setting of the story will fit with the suffix.

@Shadow-Ragna that's a fair point actually, suffixes would be pretty important in settings that do take place in Japan and I suppose it would be jarring to use non Japanese words in a Japanese settings. My issue however is that if these stories are being written mostly in English then what's the point of using suffixes when English has it's own kind that can be used? If most dubs can ignore Japanese suffixes then so can fanfiction, also I do agree to that adding them to non Japanese franchises is very stupid

It honestly depends on how the character speaks for example a formal and noble person in Japanese culture would use suffix constantly while aggressive and rude people would not, or sometimes a person would not use it. At times for English Dub or Fanfiction it depends on if it fits the character or the reason since yes you can remove some of the suffix but there are times where they need to be used.

I never understood Harry Potter fanfics using Japanese suffix...I never really do.

@Planck69 well that sounds like false advertisement, I thought Percy Jackson was essentially a loveable dork that acted as a gateway between being from real life and interacting with Greek mythology
He was. Then some dude thought, "but what if he was stronger? And got all the girls?"

@OneBleachHurricane see that's my biggest gripe with fanfic edgy characters. It's that edgy characters normally are able to display human emotions they're just more reclusive and isolated in comparasion to optimistic characters due to some trauma from the past, but these fanfic writers don't give their characters those human qualities and so they become complete and utter douchebags

@OneBleachHurricane see that's my biggest gripe with fanfic edgy characters. It's that edgy characters normally are able to display human emotions they're just more reclusive and isolated in comparasion to optimistic characters due to some trauma from the past, but these fanfic writers don't give their characters those human qualities and so they become complete and utter douchebags
I think the worst part is when the edgy assholes are thought of as "misunderstood" or "anti-heroes" by the rest of the case even though they're doing reprehensible stuff. And when they do try to make true evil protagonists, they just come of as 15 year old edgelords more than anything intimidating.

I like truly evil protagonists. I also like when they're well written.

Like those fanfics where someone from the real world gets reincarnated into a verse and it turns out that they're a "sociopath" or something stupid like that

So fellas, what's your opinion on fanfics where a good character becomes an evil antagonist? In fanfiction land IMO, it's a cheap copout to make an otherwise decent character into an unlikable ass alongside being used as an excuse to have lots of **** and explicit and detailed scenes of gore and torture

So fellas, what's your opinion on fanfics where a good character becomes an evil antagonist? In fanfiction land IMO, it's a cheap copout to make an otherwise decent character into an unlikable ass alongside being used as an excuse to have lots of **** and explicit and detailed scenes of gore and torture
Eh, they can be done quite well. Of course, it'd require a proper and sensible build-up showing how his worldview and mortality changes over time for the reasons specified, though in the case of an altered backstory and personality, this becomes easier.

99% of these fanfictions though, don't pull this off at all.

Last edited:
Back