• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Writing Discussion Thread

You could lessen the scale of the arc villains. Make it so the bigger heroes simply have important problems to deal with for most part then whatever the Arc Villain of the week has in store. Maybe only getting one or two of them involved when things get extra serious, so they can still have their cool moments. For instance, have them beat up the planet busting bio-weapon while the main characters fight the actual (physically weaker) antagonist behind it all.

Introducing new villains over and over could potentially bore a reader if you ask me.

Let me explain it this way, if you introduce conflict in your story that your protagonist must struggle to overcome, if they find themselves on top only for someone new to step in it could cheapen the result you desired from their hard-earned triumph.

Alternatively, it could bore your reader, should your protagonist be met with new antagonist after the other and they always end up on the top of the situation because plot demands it if you are writing a singular main character, people will begin to notice the pattern and lose interest based on the idea that they know your lead won't find themselves in actual danger. (e.g. Kakegurui: Yumeko gambles next antagonist with gradually increasing danger scale, villain has seemingly foolproof plan, Yumeko sees through it and uses it against them, repeat.)

Obviously it depends on context and the narrative, there are ways to balance out the negative of too many villains but that's my thoughts on that.

I'm not saying don't write lots of villains, I'm guilty of it, but think out what role they play beforehand.

That's fair. My primary intent is for this to be a sort of Cowboy-Bebop-esque worldbuilding romp, with the heroes wandering in search of their individual goals, bonding with each other, growing stronger as needed, and solving problems where they find them.

I want to explore the idea of a gang of nobodies slowly rising to prominence and renown amidst a wide world of fellow badasses without even realizing or intending it.

I need some thoughts on an antagonist I've come across recently in an armored Core game, I can't tell if he's a good antagonist or a really dumb one.

Mind if I spoil an armored Core game? If you're not into mechs or don't have a PS3 you likely won't play it

Creaturemaster971 said:
That's fair. My primary intent is for this to be a sort of Cowboy-Bebop-esque worldbuilding romp, with the heroes wandering in search of their individual goals, bonding with each other, growing stronger as needed, and solving problems where they find them.
I want to explore the idea of a gang of nobodies slowly rising to prominence and renown amidst a wide world of fellow badasses without even realizing or intending it.
That... sounds pretty cool, actually. Setting wise looks fascinating, character-wise as well and especialy refreshing that they steadily rise up.

Why thank you, @Tarta

I'm actually kind of proud of the setting I've come up with, and would go into it, but the nature of the setting itself is a major spoiler.

Not that I'm ever gonna create this series because I can't draw

I'm sure you could if you put your mind to it, just practice daily! No matter how minor, it will all help you in the long run.

I've been wanting to write a story of my own for a while now. So far I only have a general idea for the lore, two characters, and the overall premise figured out.

It's also supposed to revolve around some major issues, so I'm not sure if it's even wise to try writing it without much actual experience with stories

@Andy: I don't think that's necessary. I mean, everyone has to start at some point and IMHO the best way to get good at it is with actual practice, trial and error, while reading about how to properly create a story certainly helps, you can fall into never actually doing it because you will always feel it's still not good enough or you still haven't learned enough. Probably you also have some key scenes and moments planned out as well, but lack some bridges between them. Just an idea, you could draft the general ideas and motives in the story and see where you want it to go and polish from there. Unlike an artist with a deadline, there's no need to have a certain amount of content ready so you can take your time to plan it out.

@Creaturemaster: Writting it is still a possibility, though. Other possibility is teamworking with an artitst? Though that could be complicated as well for other issues. Even if one had the skills that could make Kentaro Miura, Hirohiko Araki and Takehiko Inoue proud, drawing a story is hard due to the sheer amount of time it needs to illlustrate, especially when you're balancing your studies and work with it. Following the 1 page per week can help, but it takes forever to move the plot.

"I could go on about the setting, but it's a spoiler" D'OH!

Schnee One said:
I need some thoughts on an antagonist I've come across recently in an armored Core game, I can't tell if he's a good antagonist or a really dumb one.

Mind if I spoil an armored Core game? If you're not into mechs or don't have a PS3 you likely won't play it
Hit me.

"In the year 2257, an unexplained phenomenon occurred. One which caused the world as we know it to be infiltrated by specials beings like ghouls, ghosts, werewolves and other beings which have been considered fantasy since the beginning of human history.

During which another phenomenon began occurring regularly. "Assassins" were being born all around the world. People with the ability to fight against these fantastical creatures. Using the supernatural power of their own soul to combat these mysterious monsters.

The current year is 2883, Yuni Gotou is invited to the most prestigious assassin's academy in the entirety of the United States of America, Ajimu Kuria. Here she meets many friends and hopes to become a great assassin who can bring prosperity to her village. However, after protecting a fellow student from bullying at the hands of upperclassmen, she is targeted by the school's disciplinary committee. Made up of the 7 strongest seniors and an organization who essentially rule the entire school, harshly enforcing certain unwritten rules. One-such rule being to never oppress an upperclassmen.

This eventually turns into an all-out war between the seniors and the extremely gifted freshmen class, with even death and dropping out being common occurrences."

I came up with a story about a guy who gets isekaied every time he dies. By his 301st life, he can do things like take down slavery with one sentence as a kid, and doing a pacifist run of a less-than-generous low fantasy isekai.

I've been thinking about of a story about a guy who's been raised by a your archetypal government agency and/or secret society and experimented before becoming some sort of superorganism a la Ultimate Kars before escaping, but instead of doing the cliche take over the world, he just wants to explore cool places (easy when you can just grow wings or something), ocasionally solving problems with the use of his biological powers.

@CrackerVolley: If you ask me, can work out pretty well... A story doesn't really have to be a grandiose epic quest to save the universe, change destiny or free civilizations from evil to be good or compelling. Simple stories about little things can also be compelling, IMHO. Dunno, a story of your boy going around the world discovering himself, meeting people, knowing their stories, connecting with others and expanding his own views from each little experience can also be pretty enjoyable. Kinda like that old Mushi-Shi manga.

And of course, if the agency and the hero comes to a confrontation the tone change will be felt a lot more.

I have been trying to work on a western story with a major hidden supernatural side to it. I haven't started the actual writing of the chapters yet but I do have a lot of the characters at least created at this point. I'm note sure whether I'll have a lone lawman or an unlikely team right now. I plan only having the supernatural parts taking place later on.

I'll talk all about the story I've been working on for about 3 years now later today, when I'm off work.

I haven't gotten to the point where I'm comfortable actually writing it, but I blame that on my own lack of confidence in my prose and narrative plotting.

Yeah, I can see why it can feel awkward to use real life figures or well known figures, even just in name. You can still make allusions to them but make them entirely your characters though, kinda to take the essence but without tying yourself too much, IMO.

How have I never bumped into this thread? :p

I'm currently in the midst of writing a book I hope to get published one day. It's a dark fantasy story, following a cynical and jaded exile who has lived in secrecy much of his life outside of a town he was banished from; far, far away from all other signs of civilisation. Under a strange and unexplained series of events, the town is set ablaze, and he's forced to leave the only home he knows with one of the survivors of the incident in search of refuge.

The book is nearing the 30'000 word mark; and I'm hoping for it to at least reach 80'000 words by the end of it. It's been... a bit shaky, and the story comes off to me as unfocused, but I have confidence that it will come out someday as something I can be proud of.

Legion350 said:
I've done multiple drafts at this time and the writing is still kinda rough in my eyes unfortunately.
Here's something I can give a tip for, actually. Even if the draft looks rough in its early stages, keep going with it. Editing chapter-by-chapter feels good in the moment, but to really properly edit a story you need the context of the whole story. With this in mind, even if the draft doesn't look that good, go further with it. Once the book is finished, then go back and figure out what made it so rough.

The only exception I'd probably give is if the book just outright isn't going in the right direction, or you want to overhaul a massive part of the story. In which case, it may be better to restart. 10'000 words is good progress though; keep it up.

My main issue is I can only picture my story visually, as it was created with the hypothetical intent of being animated or drawn in a comic/manga style. Thus writing it with text feels wrong and doesn't convey it properly, but I can't draw or animate so I feel stuck as far as actually creating it.

Hi I just started writing about year ago. The story is about how the main character goes adventuring in the skys. This is supposed to be a manga/series. Here is a small excerpt and if I need to improve please tell me what I need to fix.In the shadows crawls a person, young but skinny, loving but evil. Originally his world was a great flourishing world teeming with happiness and life. Alas not even happiness and life will last forever, like a flower it will slowly grow but will eventually shrivel up and disappear like it was never there in the first place. What tragedy befell his world you might ask? It sounded like a simple plight of mortals, war, but it wasn't started due to hunger for territories, glory, power, revenge, riches, or anything else for that matter. It was for survival against the opposition, a single entity that went by the name Q. The mortals fought with cold hard determination and valor but, these things won't get you far when you face an opponent that is has overcome every inhibitor, limits, and even passed the never ending staircase to infinity. The war was short and quick, at first Q didn't bother to do anything because he wanted to give his foes a chance before he crushes them underneath his feet, although after a month Q's patience has all but disappeared and desired to end it quickly, he rose his hand up to the sky and flicked his wrist downward. As a response to his command a meteor shot down from the sky hurtling towards its designated target like a puppet only to be manipulated. Thus concluded the war between the mortals and the "God" Q. The man finally finished reflecting on what happened in the past two months or so. The world he loved and knew had been in shambles ever since this happened. He thought what was the point of that war? To instill suffering? pain? hatred? depression? anger? to prove the dichotomy between us and puppets are not even there?

Back