• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bring back Pokemon profiles

Cross scaling is ill advised as the Pokemon are usually showcased at varying levels between media (such as Mega Rayquaza barely being able to destroy a meteor even with aid). There'd probably have to be some evidence they've actually depicted at that level of power for the scaling to be viable.

Otherwise, I see no problem with this.

So, the current rules text for creating Pokemon profiles goes like this:

"The Pokemon franchise is all over the place when it comes to official power levels, continuities, and who can beat who. It thrives on extreme inconsistencies, Plot Induced Stupidity, and Game Mechanics.

Given how extremely unreliable the series seems to be and that we would run the risk of rating lots of unwarranted characters as 2-C based on the Pokédex, base stats, and story events, we have decided that it is better to strictly go by the characters individual feats and by power-scaling if another character is shown to match or exceed the power level displayed by another character within the same story.

The Pokédex descriptions are only allowed if they are very specific (for example, if it states that a Pokemon can destroy a mountain, but does not specify the size or the number of required attacks to do so, that is not very useful) and do not contradict their displayed levels.

Otherwise the statistics should be placed at "Unknown" ratings, similarly to how we handle the Power-scaling Rules for Marvel and DC Comics.

Building upon the above, do not create non-legendary Pokémon profiles, as it is far too inconsistent and complicated to get accurate statistics from multiple forms of media."

Does anybody have some suggestions regarding how we should update/reword it?

I do. Here it is:

Due to the vast inconsistencies of the series, Pokemon scaling should be heavily limited, and the only Pokemon that should be created are the ones with feats. However, there are some exceptions. Pokemon with split evoultionary lines, rival Pokemon (such as Zanzgoose and Seviper), starters from the same generation, and Pokemon from the same evolutionary line. But scaling through Legendaries is perfectly fine, considering that their power levels aren't nearly as inconsistent, and have distinct lack of appearances. Once again, there are some exceptions, such as scaling Darkrai to Palkia and Dialga.

If anyone has any edits, feel free to supply them.

So, you think that we should entirely replace the previous text, not simply update it?

We should update it, but have this text inside it. There should be some removed from the previous text, however.

I'll give it a shot:

"Due to the myriad of mediums and dozens of authors who've worked on the franchise, Pokémon is extremely inconsistent and is often plagued with irregular showings of power or weakness for the sake of the plot as well and for the sake of gameplay (i.e. the player being able to defeat and capture Arceus).

For this reason, it is better to strictly go by each individual Pokemon's individual feats and restricting power-scaling to certain species that are frequently shown to match or exceed the power level displayed by another character within the same story. Otherwise there would be a great deal of unwarranted scaling that would lead to peculiar and ridiculous power-ratings (i.e. Pikachu being rated as 2-C for stunning Arceus).

On the same note, Pokédex entries should also be taken with a grain of salt as they too can be inconsistent (i.e. Macgargo being described as having a body temperature of 18,000 degrees Fahrenheit but is still cool enough for a child to comfortably touch its shell and can traverse its surroundings without immediately vaporizing the land it crosses over). When used as a justification for power levels, only highly specific Pokédex entries should be used (i.e. if the Pokédex states that a Pokémon is able to destroy a mountain without specifying the size of the mountain or the timeframe used, it is not viable for calculation or as an individual feat).

Please take caution when creating non-legendary Pokemon profiles, as they tend to lack feats outside of power-scaling and are the most prone to inconsistencies."

Opinions? Additions? Critiques?

Okay. I am very busy with the daily backlog though, but feel free to write down a suggestion.

I think that Reppuzan updated the Pokemon rules. If anybody has further suggestions for how to modify them, feel free to mention it here.

Back