• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration - 2

You can back up threads with posts made after April 14 here:

https://archive.org/web/

The threads can be updated with later backups if more posts are made in them. Just use the "Save Page Now" function.

These backups can then be linked to in the new forum.

However, the idea with this partial lockdown was still to mostly stick to it, except for small straightforward revisions, not spam content revision threads as usual.

Things have turned very out of hand in that regard.

Antvasima said:
You can back up threads with posts made after April 14 here:
https://archive.org/web/

The threads can be updated with later backups if more posts are made in them. Just use the "Save Page Now" function.

These backups can then be linked to in the new forum.
So could I do that with say, a versus-match thread in which more people have placed votes? And HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT RESTORING THE THREAD from the web-archive version once the move is complete??? How exactly does that work? I understand that the Arvhive allows us to save old versions of webpages, but I don't understand how I could use it "in-reverse" to restore changes/posts in a thread.

You cannot restore it, and it cannot be used as a link in our wiki profile pages.

All that the Wayback Machine backups can be used as are references in the new forum for past content revision discussions, if we need to continue.

We should probably create a thread for listing links to all of the lost content revision discussions within the new news and announcements sub-forum, along with descriptions about the respective subject matters.

Ohhh okay, thanks for the clarification. I will just have to contact those two people to re-cast their votes after the move, then! No big deal, it's a match that all people in that fandom on here will be interested in, so I'm sure it can reach a quick conclusion once the migration is finished :)

Thanks for the quick reply, Ant!

Maybe we could get a feature that lets us know when an user is online and when it isn't?

Sort of like how Discord goes on that regard.

I think that a thread shows which members that are currently reading it, and that there is a currently online function for XenForo, but I am not sure if it would be a good idea to use it, as it may be too intrusive for all of the members who want to be left alone and not be monitored.

I don't think so, Smogon lets that be a thing and no one complains.

If someone wanted to not be monitored and appear as a guest, they would just use incognito mode on their browser.

Settings could also be made so it's up to the user to let it apply to them or not.

Well, I personally consider it too intrustive, and others likely will as well.

That could be an idea, yes. I don't know if it is workable though.

While we are on that, I hope there's also a feature to give dislikes and stuff like that to each post.

Right now we are only limited to "Kudos", which are likes basically.

I don't think that we should be able to give dislikes to a post. That will help create a negative atmosphere. Likes/Kudos are still allowed though.

Strongly agreed. It is not a good idea at all.

I checked, and there appears to be a front page feature that tells how many members and visitors that are online, but we will likely have to talk about if that should be disabled or not after the migration.

That's fairly subjective, so it would be best to go to votation unless you want to just lead towards a no only because of the potential minority that doesn't want it, and the same also applies to the "online status" stuff, although in this one it would be best to just be a setting that by default is not activated.

No, giving thumbs down is a hard no, as it would be blatantly destructive for our community cohesion.

The staff will have to discuss whether or not we should have a monitoring section though.

Oh no, I meant for the amount of members online, I have to agree with the lack of dislikes feature.

Yes, we will have to talk about that, as it is more uncertain.

Will each page on the wiki get a way to link to their own respective subforum?

Or everything will be simply merged to a particular subforum for stuff like CRTs and so on with no "Topics" for each thread?

We are supposed to get the regular discussion thread topics imported, but it is good that you brought up the issue, because I do not notice them. I will have to mention it to Community Hired.

If a new subforum will be made everytime a new page is made, pages that get deleted later on and hold posts with that as a topic probably could use being automatically moved to another subforum for deleted pages, for archiving purposes, as otherwise they may just be deleted in the process, as I doubt the respective subforum should remain in such an scenario.

We will have a set number of sub-forums. For example, "Content Revisions" is a sub-forum.

I do not know, but I do not want members to change their usernames, as it leaves everybody else very confused regarding who they are talking with.

We should try to keep things as straightforward as possible.

Also, as far I'm aware, by default in XenForo you have to ask an staff member to change your own username so they do the change itself.

And there's also a feature that shows below the username of an user that changed name their former name before their name change.

Which reminds me, there's also a feature to add fancy icons below an user's profile picture to show if they are staff or have done noteworthy things to the community with a badge system, which unlike the one in Fandom that promotes spamming, is only granted by staff members, so it would remain as an actual thing to aim for.

I'll get some sample pics.

So wait, will each verse page have it's own sub-forum, I'd be fine with losing sub-forums for individual pages, but I feel like every verse having it's own sub-forum would be easier for a lot of things

I do not think that we can get verse pages their own sub-forums, but searchable topics would fulfill that function anyway. They haven't been inserted yet though.

If that's the case, then I feel it would be helpful for everyone if every single verse had a mandatory all-purpose discussion thread that CRT's and important revision threads could be posted within so people can find them easier

A lot of verses have this already, but making every verse have it's own discussion thread series would make it a lot easier probably

Badge sample
Okay, here's an example of what I meant of the badge stuff to show the amount of skills and ways the user has actually helped the site and so on.
If anyone wants to see the real deal, click here

As we can see in the above, if there's too many badges, they will just move a bit around constantly, and you can hover your mouse to see what each of them stands for, with the ones in gray being ones that simply haven't been done that much lately, but still remain to show that the effort hasn't been forgotten.

The colored note below the respective badges also allows to make as many sorts of staff members as we want without having to use custom colors for usernames like we currently do here, although that can be skipped overall.

I know this isn't Smogon and all of that, but as this is going to be based in XenForo (Which is the same system the Smogon forums works at), I felt like pointing out some other potential features was a good idea.

No, that was proven to be a very bad idea here in this wiki, as it lead to lots of meaningless spam editing and posting, and it would cause the same effect there. Sorry.

Back