• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's talk about bots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copetan

Your local Minecraft addict
They/Them
Joke Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello, this is Copetan.

This wiki is almost 3 years old, and it has grown quite a bit since back when I was first active. There are currently almost 4,000 content pages in the wiki, and that's a small portion compared to the whopping total if 72,174 pages, which includes things like the talk pages, forum pages, etc., and all of these pages have been edited almost 150,000 times.

This wiki has 1 Bureaucrat, 9 Administrators, 3 Discussions Moderators, and 1 Content Moderator. Staff has been trying their best at increasing the quality of the content in this wiki, but it has been becoming increasingly difficult to monitor these pages, so many inferior-quality pages are going unfixed, much to the woe of the community.

Other wikis use bots to assist in general wiki housekeeping, but up to now, Joke Battles Wiki hasn't been using any bots, leaving all the hard work to the staff or the rest of the community. This is why I propose that this wiki should have its own bot to help with all the grunt work.

What is a bot, you may ask? A bot is tool that makes automatic or semi-automatic edits on a wiki on a users behalf (You can find more info at Help:Bots).

A bot would be extremely helpful for the general clean-up of pages on this wiki, that way everybody who accesses this wiki can enjoy a larger number of high-quality pages, our community could grow, and everybody would be happy. But, in order to have a bot, we need to have general community approval of this bot, so FANDOM staff can add the bot flag to the account the bot is associated with, that way bot edits don't flood the Recent Changes page with grammatical corrections (it's an example).

With all that said, what do you think?

This sounds like a great idea, we are in desperate need of quality control

I support this. It would certainly make my life easier, along with the other staff members'.

(Although, I'm not sure where Julian went. He is an Administrator here, and he just up and disappeared one day.)

KingPin0422 said:
I support this. It would certainly make my life easier, along with the other staff members'.
(Although, I'm not sure where Julian went. He is an Administrator here, and he just up and disappeared one day.)
I think he was getting tired of the wiki

TheDarkSide857 said:
KingPin0422 said:
I think he was getting tired of the wiki
No intention of derailing this thread, but I don't understand why these rumors about Julian getting sick of the Wiki are even a thing, he gave no indication whatsoever of having thoughts like that in any of his messages leading up to "disappearance".

Thank you so very much for coming with such a well written and wonderful suggestion, Copetan! This has my 100% approval as well.

Julian lurks the site just like Mega and I do. However he hasn't edited anything on here or VS for a month. I'm unsure why, but there's no need to discuss this here and I just hope he's doing alright.

KingPin0422 said:
There's also TherealistOGOG who hasn't been active for more than a year. But that's besides the point

How many bots are we going to have? or will one do

I currently have made one account for bot usage but if anybody else is willing to make a bot, it would have to be the point of another discussion. Do note that the bot I'll be using won't be fully automatic, since I don't have the resources to host that type of bot, but it's going to help us make our lives a lot easier.

If I might also make a suggestion? I recommed that bots be given at least Content Moderator status. I feel as if that would immensely ease their job.

Crabwhale said:
If I might also make a suggestion? I recommed that bots be given at least Content Moderator status. I feel as if that would immensely ease their job.
ok but not admin and NEVER ADMIN BAD STUFF COULD HAPPEN IF THAT HAPPENS I CAN FEEL IT

Crabwhale said:
Yeah I want to ask Ryu if he can give it admin status, that way it can also make general wiki administration much more convenient

Errorsaness said:
Crabwhale said:
ok but not admin and NEVER ADMIN BAD STUFF COULD HAPPEN IF THAT HAPPENS I CAN FEEL IT
Why? It's basically an extension of me (Since I'll be the one that will be operating it)

Copetan said:
Errorsaness said:
Crabwhale said:
Why? It's basically an extension of me (Since I'll be the one that will be operating it)
Gonna have to agree with Error here. Admin status seems unnecessary as a Content Moderator+Discussion Moderator bot already all the tools it could possibly need without the ability to ban people (which, let's face it, what's even the point?).

Overlord775 said:
*When you get ignored by the staff
Pepethefrog
So did I and quite frankly, your concerns do have a basis, but I'm sure it can all be worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back