• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Low quality pages

It's mostly a lack of creativity.

But yeah, I do agree with this issue finally being addressed.

I'm a repeat offender of this, so feel free to delete all my pages except for Seymour.

Examples of OP characters done right are things like Goku and King.

Holyhotsauce said:
It's mostly a lack of creativity.
But yeah, I do agree with this issue finally being addressed.

I'm a repeat offender of this, so feel free to delete all my pages except for Seymour.

Examples of OP characters done right are things like Goku and King.
I have to agree with you, King is one of the most well made OP character pages

I just read through this, and I want to state my opinion, and then an idea.

First of all, I'm not very active in this wiki, and any edits that I make tend to be technical, so I don't know first-hand how problematic these pages are. But, that doesn't mean that I haven't found these types of pages while roaming around the wiki; I just deem any absurdly long and/or spammy pages an annoyance, and I ignore them (Unless they have those autoplaying recordings. I really hate those profiles).

Second, I have to agree with Ryukama: I might hate those pages, but I don't want to take them down just because I dislike them. We've been very lenient on what is allowed in this wiki, and I don't want to suddenly take that away from the people.

Lastly, an idea; other wikis (such as Wikipedia) have a "Good Article" or "Featured Article" system that promotes articles identified by the community to be articles of high quality, informative, et cetera. I think we should implement that system to identify good and/or entertaining articles, possibly following some guideline, and separate them from the more spammy and/or lower quality profiles, so people don't have to go through a horde of mediocre profiles to find a good profile or a profile that they'll like.

Tell me what you guys think.

Thank you very much for the great input, Copetan.

I suppose we can combine Mega's idea of heavily discouraging bad pages and your idea of heavily encouraging good pages in order to help promote a higher overall quality.

Do you think excessive spam or practically empty pages should be removed though? I don't mean just "bad pages". But pages that are ridiculously too long or short.

Super Saiyan God Julian said:
The Logan Paul page was supposedly of decent quality before people filled it with spam, so I think we could revert it to the least spammy version.
I can help get it back if you want

Ainex234 said:
this is something that has irritated me for a long time. The fact that this wiki has no quality standards for pages causes the creation of many pages that are just... bad. The existence of these pages hurts the enjoyment of this wiki; when i go on Wiki Activity and all i see is a bunch of unfunny garbage it just annoys me, and i'm sure i'm not the only one.

EVIDENCE: (No offense to the creators of these pages meant)

SpookyFa

MLPlover2011 (The Return)

SCP-169 (Vs Battles Wiki) (Literally just copy-pasted from vsbattles)

Lollara the ShanLash Woma

My penis

these guys

Fat mom

Mario (SMG4)

most of Sans2345's profiles (i.e. The Quee, Fast Zombie, Rip The Cat, Bowser (Super Smash Bros Melee) , Mew (Pokepark) , etc.)

a lot of other profiles as well
HOSTLESS is a pretty good example of a low quality page. It's almost entirely spam!

Don't worry @Soel404. I can easily revert all that spam with a snap of my fingers.
I'll simply post the version I'm going to revert it to, so you guys can see if you like it.
Thanks

I'll take care of the Logan Paul profile later today. I've been busy.
It appears that somebody already fixed it

I'm sorry but are those pages really that out of place? I thought shitposting (even completely mindless shitposting) was kind of the point of the wiki

WTF there are no rules in this jokes battle wiki its filled with all the comment sections mentioned Don't you know the meaning of the word "j o k e s b a t t l e w i k i"

my fat mom page is stupid

Just another useless garbage trash can page

Uselessnoob245 said:
WTF there are no rules in this jokes battle wiki its filled with all the comment sections mentioned Don't you know the meaning of the word "j o k e s b a t t l e w i k i"
my fat mom page is stupid

Just another useless garbage trash can page
Dude... just stop

I thought of this place as a fun place to joke around with my friends but when all the attention gets sucked up by these kinds of profiles it kind of drives the fun away. It's getting frustrating just going through all of these pages; why even bother trying to check things out if it's just going to be another NDSUGANSPGNAPIOGASGSAPGNSGNDNKDFKAFFJI kind of page?

I don't have a problem with them existing, but I do have a problem with the fact that they suck up most of the attention here. We should definitely retain some leniency here but I think we're being a bit too lenient in this case. There needs to be a line drawn somewhere as to what kinds of profiles are acceptable or not, even if it is arbitrarily drawn. It's one thing to only loosely follow the profile format, but it's another thing to completely ignore it and fill it with repetition and spam.

With the over-abundance of these profiles it ruins the fun of seeing the things other people make. I really would appreciate seeing some more of my fellow VSB staff on this site, but most of them aren't even curious about what's going on here anymore. It feels barren and dead.

I'm very sorry to hear about your disappointment you guys. Mega, Julian and I will try to figure out new guidelines that will help things out as best as we can.

We have no control over which pages people read and click on though, outside of maybe featuring some on the frontpage.

I hate these pages too. I just don't wanna get rid of things only cause they aren't to my taste. I'd still appreciate Julian and Mega tell me their final ideas for this issue.

I'm not sure. We should still try to take out the massive amount of spam on some pages, instead of outright deleting them. Although they should definitely be stopped.

Maybe I could post the guidelines I suggested as recommendations which should be encouraged?

Sure thing. Let's wait for Mega to respond first. Then we can do that.

I agree with numbers on this case in that there should not be an abunduncy of these profiles, as well as the fact that they should not be recieving the most attention.. I also agree with Julian in that we should focus more on deleting spam instead of the outright profile.

Despite this being a joke battles wiki, it kinda evolved into being a junk battles wiki. These profiles still have the rights to be made.

We do need rules for how such profiles interact due to the massive drama this silly issue creates. My first suggestion is ban all VS threads for characters that only have one purpose and that is to be the strongest except for actual memes.

But really, it comes down to us, we are the ones who choose to give the most attention to these profiles wether or not it be for good or for bad. If we want to stop it, first we need to stop caring about the types of profiles and we need to start making profiles that have actual value in it ourselves. The only exception is when one of these profiles are actually breaking rules, in which case notify one of us admins, we delete it, warn the user, and then move on.

I will try my best to innovate and ahow other examples and directions of how people could go about making their profiles. Of course they are just suggestions, all users have the right to create what ever they want as long as they can follow the most basic of rules. Julian and Ryu could focus on monitering pages that have the absolute worst quality.

Ok so this reply is like a month late since I had zero idea this thread existed till it was highlighted (though my favorite fighting games have distracted the hell outta me too).

My take on the whole situation....

As one of the editors responsible for one of the OG godmods (Skodwarde and his crew), I worry that I may have some blame for what has happened here (though I have nerfed the **** out of him, and will likely either do so to Morbid Patrick, Spengbab, and Moar Krabs, or delete them outright and maybe reboot them).

But we're in the now so here's my take on it.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly exhausted with all the godmode profiles, (though not outright against them overall) and even made a profile (Cereal Escalation) highlighting the chronic looping of it all. Also that blog post expressing worry about people taking all these godmods a bit too seriously I made.

That being said, I am also against the full scale deletion of these godmode profiles (unless they are clear spam/rule violations), since this wiki is very much er....libertarian, conceptually, in design so to speak, and if profiles start getting deleted solely cuz people don't like em, it could wind up having an ugly domino effect....

So here are some alternate solutions I've come up with....

1: Discourage further creation of extreme spam profiles, since it's been done before, and it's certainly not gonna win you any originality points....

2: Encourage more thoughtful, creative efforts to improve the QOL of the wiki as a whole....

3: Sit every member of this wiki in a chair, put headphones in their ears, and play nothing but Type O Negative at a moderate volume, turning everyone into vampires, and suddenly all the profiles become overly gothic.

Back