• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Translator staff member role

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, sure, but at the same time, most media that have language settings use the languages people are most likely to come across. In that case, it's usually Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Japanese. Dunno how Chinese didn't make it on that list considering it's literally the most spoken language in the world.

The point is, we can't just pick translators that has all of the languages in the world, as that will clutter up our Staff list. The role is to usually focus on that of Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.
I don't got permission but: If a language has 1 verse then 1 staff member can apply for it, Languages like Japanese and Chinese etc. can just have like 2 or 3 staff member positions

I mean, sure, but at the same time, most media that have language settings use the languages people are most likely to come across. In that case, it's usually Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Japanese. Dunno how Chinese didn't make it on that list considering it's literally the most spoken language in the world.
Eh? It's about demands.

Perhaps, did you check the thread by any chance? People have been requesting Chinese translation for ages.

I don't got permission but: If a language has 1 verse then 1 staff member can apply for it, Languages like Japanese and Chinese etc. can just have like 2 or 3 staff member positions
This is literally addressed here.

In fact, it is rare to see translation requests for less common languages like Turkish on the thread, because the Turkish community is quite large, and it's much easier to find a fluent Turkish speaker to provide translations. As of now, I haven't come across a single Turkish translation request in the past 10 pages.
Half of the turkish community I know of cannot even speak english very well (Expect @RaveeCPN, @Larssx, Me as far as I know) Like look at our list in Multilingual theres 5 people there and 4 of them say they are bad at english and the 5th one is me.

And that's the thing. While the wiki members demand Japanese, Chinese, and Korean the most, people outside are more likely to demand Spanish, French, Italian, German, and Japanese, hence why those are used for language settings in most media.
And why would we care about what's outside of wiki again?

But I don't remember any Turkish translation requests for decades.
I think @Ogurtsow should decide since he is most important staff member in this language topic. I am not even allowed to speak here so I won't say anything more we should just wait Ogurtsow to give his opinion on which languages need staff members

Eh? Why it is now relevant what the rest of world's media do?

I am not understanding this logic right now.

The draft looks okay to me. One point that can be added there is that in case of works that have already been officially translated, we don't claim that the TH team is more skilled than the official translators but there might be some errors that the TH team can help clarify given enough evidence in a case-by-case scenario.

I didn't take the time to word it properly but something to the same effect can be added as a note somewhere.

The draft looks okay to me. One point that can be added there is that in case of works that have already been officially translated, we don't claim that the TH team is more skilled than the official translators but there might be some errors that the TH team can help clarify given enough evidence in a case-by-case scenario.

I didn't take the time to word it properly but something to the same effect can be added as a note somewhere.
Noted! Will add to the draft.

So the note from AKM has been added, DT has further no objections. I assume, we are waiting for further candidates.

I would also suggest @Chasekilleen to be a Japanese translator as he is constantly being recommended by staff members themselves and the community.
If anyone wants to disagree with this, you can list your reasons, but as far as I am not mistaken, he has been a long term user of translating Japanese scans in a professional and contextual manner.

Note, that if you have something to say, you can always say it in my DMs or in my wall rather derail this thread.

Other recommendation is @Paul_Frank, he is highly valuable Japanese translator, trusted and vouched by many staff members including administrators.

Last suggestion would be @Shuradou, who possesses extensive expertise in Japanese translation and has garnered considerable trust and endorsement from multiple administrators.

@Antvasima Mind pinging them to ask for their opinions?

Last edited:
If you want to ensure that you must showcase the practicality of your translation skills rather than just the quality of them to gain this staff role, you could just change the requirements around a bit

Right now you can gain the role by being of extreme help in translating material for the Wiki, even if it’s you who wanted it translated. Just change it so that you have to have translated material for someone else, be that in a CRT or as a response to a request, to gain the role. Then you have proved your language skills are actively a help on the wiki
This seems like a good addition to you draft, Dread.
Looks ok to me.
Thank you. That is good then.

Thank you. That seems like a good addition, yes.
So the note from AKM has been added, DT has further no objections. I assume, we are waiting for further candidates.

I would also suggest @Chasekilleen to be a Japanese translator as he is constantly being recommended by staff members themselves and the community.
If anyone wants to disagree with this, you can list your reasons, but as far as I am not mistaken, he has been a long term user of translating Japanese scans in a professional and contextual manner.

Note, that if you have something to say, you can always say it in my DMs or in my wall rather derail this thread.

Other recommendation is @Paul_Frank, he is highly valuable Japanese translator, trusted and vouched by many staff members including administrators.

Last suggestion would be @Shuradou, who possesses extensive expertise in Japanese translation and has garnered considerable trust and endorsement from multiple administrators.

@Antvasima Mind pinging them to ask for their opinions?
@Chasekilleen @Paul_Frank @Shuradou

Would any of you be interested in helping out as Translation Helper staff members?

I am not sure what to change based on Pikaman's suggestion as her suggestion is already added in the draft priorly.
Alternatively, the member should have been of significant help with evaluations that are useful for this wiki. This includes translating important scans/dialogues by the member's own wish. It is naturally important that the member has performed productive work, as it will not count otherwise.

Hmm, I guess I could lend a hand with that. I mean, it's not like I have anything else going on, and I've always had a thing for languages. Just give me the details of what you need, and I'll see if I'm up for it. So sure, count me in, I suppose.
Thank you for helping out. It is very appreciated. 🙏

Would any of you be interested in helping out as Translation Helper staff members?
Hi Antvasima,
Thank you for the opportunity, however I'll have to decline, I'll be going on a hiatus because I'll be getting busy with my internship and focusing on graduating college (again...) and doing my kanji kanken level 1 test.

Thank you for your offer, but sorry, I won't have enough time to do it.

Okay. That is unfortunate, but thanks anyway. Feel very free to contact me if you change your mind later. 🙏

Here is our current tally then:

Accepted:

Jasonsith, Makai641001, Shuradou, IdiosyncraticLawyer, Paul_Frank, GarrixianXD, Ritsu01

Declined:

Chasekilleen, Maruishimaryishi, Artorimachi_Meteoraft

Haven't responded:

TheNinthHour, AnimesFreak2, Executor_N0

Just a note that those who accept will get staff member tags that stop all advertisements in this forum.

Last edited:
Okay. That is unfortunate, but thanks anyway. Feel very free to contact me if you change your mind later. 🙏

Accepted:

Jasonsith, Makai641001, Shuradou

Declined:

Chasekilleen

Haven't responded:

TheNinthHour, Maruishimaryishi, AnimesFreak2, Executor_N0, Paul_Frank, IdiosyncraticLawyer
You should call @Ogurtsow so he can give his opinion on which languages need staff members

Accepted:

Jasonsith, Makai641001, Shuradou

Declined:

Chasekilleen

Haven't responded:

TheNinthHour, Maruishimaryishi, AnimesFreak2, Executor_N0, Paul_Frank, IdiosyncraticLawyer
I talked to maruishimaryishi and ant

he said this

“And nah, I don't want to get the job. I'll just rarely be active here and translate things if I want to.”

You should call @Ogurtsow so he can give his opinion on which languages need staff members
It is not needed since he already pointed out the issues of the page, and has been dealt. Otherwise, I won't repeat the same “arguments” again and again.
Ant and I and rest of staff members agreed on what we are going to do at the beginning.

Seems we got many candidates, and the draft is also ready to be published officially.

The role creation in forum and in the fandom is preferably should be handled by Ant.

Just wanted to make a reminder, this is the role color code: #F3B0C2

Seems we got many candidates, and the draft is also ready to be published officially.

The role creation in forum and in the fandom is preferably should be handled by Ant.

Just wanted to make a reminder, this is the role color code: #F3B0C2
It could take a while until we have everything in order, and I also want to wait quite a while longer for more responses, if it is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back