• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Translator staff member role

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could take a while until we have everything in order, and I also want to wait quite a while longer for more responses, if it is necessary.
I don't mind, since I know it is going to take a while for creating a completely new position that should be aligned with our current system.

Thank you very much for the recommendations. 🙏

I think that we should mainly focus on members fluent in Japanese to start with though, as we mainly receive that type of requests.

We already recruited Jasonsith in any case.

Never mind.

@Artorimachi_Meteoraft and @GarrixianXD, are you two fluent in Chinese, and would you be willing to help out with such translation requests as Translation Helpers?

I’m not since being chinese american has rendered me unable to read Chinese without a translator. Since english is my primary language now

I can still understand and speak it though but I cannot read it anymore unless it’s something really really basic like the Chinese word for 1 which is like 1 horizontal line.

Okay. That is unfortunate, but thanks anyway. Feel very free to contact me if you change your mind later. 🙏

Here is our current tally then:

Accepted:

Jasonsith, Makai641001, Shuradou, IdiosyncraticLawyer, Paul_Frank, GarrixianXD

Declined:

Chasekilleen, Maruishimaryishi, Artorimachi_Meteoraft

Haven't responded:

TheNinthHour, AnimesFreak2, Executor_N0

Just a note that those who accept will get staff member tags that stop all advertisements in this forum.
@TheNinthHour @AnimesFreak2 @Executor_N0

We would greatly appreciate responses from you as well. 🙏

I think @Ogurtsow should decide since he is most important staff member in this language topic. I am not even allowed to speak here so I won't say anything more we should just wait Ogurtsow to give his opinion on which languages need staff members
I can confirm: I made a couple Turkish translation requests for Turkish verses, one of which was on a Turkish movie and posted in the translation requests thread a year ago. Even before that, I had requested a translation for a short Italian cartoon.

I also added several Russian verses to the wiki, as I'm familiar with them since my childhood and it's easier for me to evaluate them for powerscaling purposes, as I speak the original language (and many older verses do not possess official translations). The Turkish subcommunity, for instance, have the same advantages for Turkish verses.

And for further improvement of our international diversity of verses, I decided to add verses of Bulgarian, Serbian, Macedonian, Czech, etc. origin. Sometimes I even asked people outside of the wiki to translate important dialogues that are related to powerscaling purposes, as we do not have enough active members for those languages.

As for the case of this brand new staff position, there're obviously many non-English verses out there outside of the East Asian Big Three, but the vast majority of our community simply don't care of them as much. Will this situation ever change in the near future? Well, only if we manage to bring hither members who would actually want to evaluate untranslated e.g. Indonesian, Vietnamese, Turkish, Russian, etc. verses by themselves and then they would need the help of a native/fluent speaker to translate an important dialogue/scan. There're international fans of such verses too, but it doesn't seem like there're many enough of them in powerscaling communities specifically sadly. Sad but true.

(I don't know how long I will address the same arguments over and over again and none of opposition can simply understand the concept of "at the beginning we are going to see our demand statistics first")

Well, mainly, but we also receive requests for Korean manhwa sometimes, so I suppose that members who are extremely fluent in Korean can probably be included as well.
@Ritsu01 is Korean native speaker, he has asked me if he could be a translator and is willing to help with the translations as well.

I think that seems fine yes. Thank you to him for being willing to help out. 🙏

Also, just a note that all of our new translation helpers obviously need to try to be on their best behaviour towards other members here afterwards as representatives of our community.

Accepted:

Jasonsith, Makai641001, Shuradou, IdiosyncraticLawyer, Paul_Frank, GarrixianXD, Ritsu01

Declined:

Haven't responded:

Just a note that those who accept will get staff member tags that stop all advertisements in this forum.
I have updated my list above.

Yes, you would get staff badges and a position in our wiki staff list page.

I am uncertain if the badges should say "Translation Helper (Japanese)" and "Translation Helper (Chinese)" for example, or just "Translation Helper".

How much more work is needed before this staff category for us is formally made?

Well, I want to give it a bit of extra waiting time for the remaining candidates to hopefully respond, and after that our forum system administrator need to create new badges.

Well, I want to give it a bit of extra waiting time for the remaining candidates to hopefully respond, and after that our forum system administrator need to create new badges.
This sounds promising!

I am really glad that I managed this task successfully! This was not easy.

How much longer must we wait? Maybe ping the remaining people again.

Accepted:

Jasonsith, Makai641001, Shuradou, IdiosyncraticLawyer, Paul_Frank, GarrixianXD, Ritsu01

Declined:

Haven't responded:

@TheNinthHour @AnimesFreak2 @Executor_N0

That said, I and AKM also need to find the free time to set this up together with our forum system manager.

I think he is aware of the process. Give it time, still he still needs to adjust the permission in the forum.
Bump. The page creation and updating could be handled in a few minutes; I don't know how much time is needed for promotions, but maybe we could do it with AKM's next promotions thread, though I don't know how often those happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back