• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verse quality requirements (or lack thereof)

Personally I agree with Cal. I've seen far too much trash on this wiki lately and honestly it makes me feel more and more like giving up on it.

But I've already accepted that vs debating culture is toxic garbage so there's nothing I can do to stop people crying out "muh quality is subjective my pet verse that was written to be strong and published by a 2 bit publishing company who would take anything they were given so it's technically not self published and should be allowed here even though it's literally Suggs lite". So I'm not going to fight for quality standards

I think a line should be drawn but a lenient one. There's some things out there that have quality of that of some preteens taking a video for their school project (granted that COULD be good).

I also think that we should have some sort of quality standards, at least for trash that could have been written by 8 year olds.

I don't think that this particular community is toxic though. However, other versus communities might be for all that I know.

hmmf...I don't think there should be any quality requirements. The very idea behind it seems to me like gatekeeing.

Reminds me of the elitist attitude that a lot of members seem to have, and is, in my opinion, the biggest problem on this wiki; because it starts at the top.

Then there's the question of what exactly counts as a low-quality verse. Which no one has really answered.

Is it just about having bad grammar and punctuation?

What about verses that aren't literature? Should we now ban verses for having incorrect pronunciation?

The whole thing is a big blur, and I don't think it should be touched at all.

Isn't Who Killed Captain Alex an african movie made to be the best that it could be with what the resources the director has? Its supposed to be a genuinely good movie (besides the voice over guy who is supposed to be the english translator I think). Regardless, nothing is wrong with its inclusion unless it doesn't line up with the other qualifications.

Technically Suggs lite...? I am sorry, barely much in this Earth makes so little sense in a power scaling sense as Suggsverse, comparing anything to it is nothing done lightly.

Again, we only get more issues deciding what this quality is, is incredibly dumb to base this on our presentation to others because is not gonna change a thing, and it just feels like an annoyingly elitist decision. I still cannot process what even is the point of a requirement like this, all I've heard has felt nothing more than extremely personal feelings and no real positive consequence to the site.

Antvasima said:
I also think that we should have some sort of quality standards, at least for trash that could have been witten by 8 year olds.
According to these people, no such line should be drawn. It could be written by a toddler so long as it's tierable.

And falls in line with the other rules that we already have. Don't forget that part.

I can't tell you the amount of times we've revamped our rules to keep bs out. Hell, Joke Battles Wiki was made for that because our rules didn't disqualify omnipotent Squirrel Girl, SMBZ Sonic, and Old Spice Terry Crews. And yes, they were all profiles here at one point of time.

" We have a verse written by a 5-year old (when he started) already on this wiki: Axe Cop (Verse)."

You mean the webcomic that is renowned enough to get a Fox tv show? Don't compare Axe Cop, a series popular enough to be picked up by a (now) Disney owned company and one of the biggest companies on the planet, to something like Reaper's Creek.

Dienomite22 said:
@Cal

All of those broke our current rules and Squirrel Girl has an accurate profile currently.
Yes. Current. As I said, they weren't rules in the past, which is what I was referring to. We made rules for them. Squirrel Girl used to be above tier 0 back in 2015 alongside Chuck Norris.

If Reaper's Creek isn't popular enough then sure yeet it, the debate was about quality. But like InfiniteSped said, if the story is coherent with enough feats and popular enough then it should be allowed.

@Cal

So why bring it up? You're just proving out current rules work just fine. Those profiles were either fanfiction, inaccurate/wanked and from verses that had no fighting. Not at all comparable to what is being discussed here.

100% agree with Cal. He's speaking my mind pretty clearly, but here.

I'll be flat out.

I don't think "parody" works in general belong on VsBattles--that's literally what Joke Battles is for.

Dienomite22 said:
Isn't Who Killed Captain Alex an african movie made to be the best that it could be with what the resources the director has? Its supposed to be a genuinely good movie (besides the voice over guy who is supposed to be the english translator I think). Regardless, nothing is wrong with its inclusion unless it doesn't line up with the other qualifications.
Movies with a lower budget are capable of being much better. You can try to make it like they put their heart and soul into it but the fact is that it's a terrible movie with terrible quality. Accepting that means essentially accepting anything regardless of its legitimacy.

Hell can you even call it notable? It's just a meme at this point. No one knows about unless you're trying to find garbage. At that point I know for a fact that any of us here can write a better story than that movie. I mean seriously if we accept that then tell me what disqualified allowing random stories on the internet that are actually better? I'm not even talking about fanfiction but instead non published works or even one off YouTube videos.

Allowing trash allows for other things to creep in. Hell bring back the Barney Profile before that movie.

Look, Cal is only saying that we shouldn't allow complete trash that could be written by small children in this wiki. That seems like a sensible bulwark for quality control. He isn't going to extremes in this regard.

A Stoned Orc said:
100% agree with Cal. He's speaking my mind pretty clearly, but here.
I'll be flat out.

I don't think "parody" works in general belong on VsBattles--that's literally what Joke Battles is for.
Jokes battle is there for completely memetic and ridiculou sprofiles using more often than not Insane Troll logic. I don't see why we should ban a verse like OPM (which is a parody) to Jokes Battles. This is an indexing site first and foremost, if it got a coherent story and enough notoriety, why the hell not tier that.

Dienomite22 said:
I literally just pointed out why they are invalid off the top of my head. What are you going with your point?
Okay, you're still not getting it. Let me try again.

Say you weren't here and I got the profiles deleted. You come later on and there's some other profile controversy. I go back and talk about the previous examples, but I tack on Invisible Dragon as another one. You'd say the same thing, but also say "...or horribly written, but this controversy isn't one of them"

Dienomite22 said:
I literally just pointed out why they are invalid off the top of my head. What are you going with your point?
Let me make the point clear to you:

Our current rules were literally made to keep out things like omnipotent Squirrel Girl, Old Spice Terry Crews, etc., because they existed before on the wiki, simply because they fit the rules as they were written then, and the majority of the staff of the wiki decided this was an unacceptable outcome, thus we have our current ruleset.

Invisible Dragon is exactly the kind of trash the rules were previously changed to keep out. That it happens to skirt by the rules as they're written now is no less than an egregious oversight, tbh. Cal made the apt comparison that you're essentially defending garbage of the same tier of quality as omnipotent Chuck Norris, simply because, like omnipotent Chuck Norris once did, ID fits our rules as they're written currently.

Antvasima said:
Look, Cal is only saying that we shouldn't allow complete trash that could be written by small children in this wiki. That seems like a sensible bulwark for quality control. He isn't going to extremes in this regard.
I mean, that's already a given. But that started straying into cherry-picking what "trash" is and what isn't, even if said work has enough of a coherent storyline and notoriety.

Anyway, this is just going in circles at this point, Og already pretty much summed this up in his comment above and nothing he didn't already say was added here afaik.

I just hope that they don't forget that this wiki is first and foremost an indexing wiki, and not a "let's gather the best-written verses and tier them"-wiki >_>.

i don't even understand what problems are caused by the invisible dragon staying. you might say "slippery slope" but really is it? the rules that require it being coherent basically means that if it gets worse then it then it'll be totally incoherent and break the rules"

@Cal

I understand what you're getting at now but I don't agree that horribly written is a precedent that should be set for the deletion of a verse to begin with. If it were a rule then it would be and I can't say anything but that isn't the case now is it? How is a "bad" verse on the same level as fanfic, non combat, not popular, non official verses?

@Nico-v11

Sure, but I doubt a movie from an area in Africa with near nonexistent internet and electrical access (and the little they have is extremely dated), made with old cameras that have worse quality then modern phones and producers/directors who have little experience with modern films and technology are capable of making anything better then what they are doing now or did with WKCA.

No its notable, being a meme doesn't devalue its notoriety and it isn't known just as a meme. Large amounts of people have grown to admire the creative process behind its creation. Just checking the views for multiple Wakaliwood movies and you'll see videos ranging from 100,000 views to over 6 million views, that is not small at all if we want to talk pure numbers and popularity.

Barney needs to go.

Back