• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is Homestuck not on the FC/OC wiki?

I've been seeing quite a lot of works being deemed "not suited for VSBW" due to copyrighted material, I'm a bit confused as to why Homestuck is allowed but those other verses aren't allowed as Homestuck steals plenty of copyrighted material from other works.

I decided to compile a list of some of the unofficial copyrighted material that Homestuck uses:

One of the Playable flash games literally just steals the sprites of the EarthBound party members
John's shirt literally contains Slimer from Ghostbusters and later on they play a Ghostbusters videogame
Poster of Con-Air can be seen within the first few pages, also the bunny from Con-Air appears and is later turned into a robot that plays a major role in the plot later on
An Iron-Man suit appears that Jade combines with other items
A ton of songs are referenced in other tracks or directly appear in Homestuck itself (scroll down to the bottom where it lists "Tracks originating outside of Homestuck"

I know there's a ton of other examples I can't think of at the moment but hopefully this gets the point across that Homestuck steals from a TON of other works, at the very least I think Liv Tyler should be removed from the Vs Battles Wiki due to it literally just being a robotic version of what the comic states to have been the exact same bunny as the one from Con-Air

because those things are just references that rarely matter to the plot or only appear in 1 or 2 pages

the first flash is fair i guess but the only thing they steal is the overworld style, you don't fight enemies like in earthbound, you don't grab items from earthbound and you don't meet any characters fro earthbound, is literally just a style

the ghostbuster stuff is just a stylized reference and game only appears for like 6 pages as some character relaxing

the bunny is also fair but it turned into it's own character as a robot, it is not important to it in the same way it was in con air, is just a plushie from a bad movie john liked and then was altered into an new character

iron lass suit doesn't appear much and is again just a pop culture reference

why would music matter again?

seriously, is the wiki really willing to ignore like 90% of a officially licensed series' setting and plot and sending it to FC/OC because it has some pop culture references on it, some being somewhat more important than others? are we gonna send jojo there too because of bohemian rhapsody? is this some weird copyright thingie? because i think homestuck would've been hit by it before this thread would've been made.

homestuck is not fanfiction, it is it's own story that references a lot of pop culture things from the older days of the internet

There is more officially licenced content in Homestuck than the outliers you have provided.

like it would have to be over 50% of "references" for it to make any meaningful difference.

akuto sai still slams the verse tho 💀

Back