• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

YouTube Profiles Quality Control Discussion (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real cal howard said:
Once again, terrible false equivalency given the small fact of eighty years of history that doesn't revolve around other's IPs.
What are you referring to?

Yobo Blue said:
The problem is that the reviews are only "99%" under our perspective, which has been proven to not be a major factor. Besides, it's not as one sided as you're claiming it to be, and is more of a 50/50 scenario at best even assuming that our perspective is key (which it isn't)
I have no clue what your first sentence means.

Maybe more recent videos have changed the balance but I've watched hundreds of hours of Nostalgia Critic, and I've seen about 98% reviews/derivative work and 2% original story, including leeway for the separate movies, etc.

It means that we should be looking at how much of it forms the plot and the verse itself, not how much it looks like from the viewer perspective.

The issue is that you're looking at it as if NG was the only person in the verse, which he is not.

Your comparison to Bugs and Mickey.

While we're here, here

I dare you to find me more than 3 videos (that's not Demon reel) that isn't primarily about an already existing product.

HeadlessKramerGeoff777 said:
This is really derailing the thread, this should be moved to a different thread.
This is discussion about what YouTube profiles should be allowed. It isn't derailing.

I haven't. All I talked about have been YouTube profiles.
You're right, my bad.

Your comparison to Bugs and Mickey.

While we're here, here

I dare you to find me more than 3 videos (that's not Demon reel) that isn't primarily about an already existing product.

Ah, but in that case 80 up years of their content is 99% just shenanigans without a plot.

Yobo Blue said:
It means that we should be looking at how much of it forms the plot and the verse itself, not how much it looks like from the viewer perspective.

The issue is that you're looking at it as if NG was the only person in the verse, which he is not.
We should look at it from the viewer perspective rather than the plot, to avoid issues like the Hermione fanfiction I gave earlier.

Sure but I'd expect that the other reviewers also mainly do reviews.

We should look at it from the viewer perspective rather than the plot, to avoid issues like the Hermione fanfiction I gave earlier.

We're going to have issues either way, so choosing the one we've already established matter more makes more sense.

Yeah, but most of those are vehicles for the lore, like Linkara for example.

Yobo Blue said:
Why would I look through a single channel when there are dozens of channels that met up the verse?
You know collabs aren't the same thing as a cinematic universe, right? Decisions and plotpoints made in AVGN dont influence the work of Nostalgia Chick. Heck, Nostalgia Critic reviewed AVGN's movie. Something himself was in.

…? That is about youtube profiles though... don't see what you are talking about. I was just correcting the thought that a series inspired by something = that inspiration, because it isn't.
I realized that after posting, my bad, you're right.

Yobo Blue said:
We're going to have issues either way, so choosing the one we've already established matter more makes more sense.

The only issue we're going to have doing it this way is that Cinemassacre and Channel Awesome don't get pages/get far fewer pages. The issues we have doing it your way is that we get fanfiction, as long as the parts that actually matter to the plot only have original characters.

You know, it's absolutely fascinating that, in your quest to prove that these two should be OCs due to them associating themselves with different fictions, that you forgot one of the critical parts of these two YouTube channels.

Every time they review something, it is considered complete and utter fiction.

And any feats they ever might do with the characters in question are always considered gags and joke feats. (Look at the Nostalgia Critic's DOOM video, for instance.) Feats which just so happen to align with other feats they perform on the regular, including in any movies or games they're a part of, as well as their standard videos.

You know collabs aren't the same thing as a cinematic universe, right? Decisions and plotpoints made in AVGN dont influence the work of Nostalgia Chick. Heck, Nostalgia Critic reviewed AVGN's movie. Something himself was in.

Well they are in this case. Hence the dozens of movies with content from all those reviewers and the dozens of plot points that carry on from those movies and from reviews and lead into other things. That one instance is at worst a outlier, and at beast Breaking the Fourth Wall

Starter Pack said:
You know, it's absolutely fascinating that, in your quest to prove that these two should be OCs due to them associating themselves with different fictions, that you forgot one of the critical parts of these two YouTube channels.

Every time they review something, it is considered complete and utter fiction.

And any feats they ever might do with the characters in question are always considered gags and joke feats. (Look at the Nostalgia Critic's DOOM video, for instance.) Feats which just so happen to align with other feats they perform on the regular, including in any movies or games they're a part of, as well as their standard videos.
Actually, Dargoo's argument is that the review portions themselves are proof of being fanfic apparently

@Agnaa

If they aren't stated to be pure fanfiction and treat the verses that supposedly are being taken from, why not? Even then, it's a bad analogy. Since the Awesomeverse doesn't draw from any one thing.

I can agree with removing Creepypasta profiles for reasons made by other people. Anyway, it was agreed to keep Awesomeverse and Cinemassacre separate as they're two different publishers with their own narratives. And while they do reference each other in some regard, they also do have different lores among other things. Also, both Critic and Nerd scale from their own feats once again; it doesn't violate any rules at all.

The big difference here is that the Awesomeverse itself treats those being as fiction, hence it being very different from the examples of fanfics given thus far.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
I can agree with removing Creepypasta profiles for reasons made by other people. Anyway, it was agreed to keep Awesomeverse and Cinemassacre separate as they're two different publishers with their own narratives. And while they do reference each other in some regard, they also do have different lores among other things.
There aren't any on this wiki. Just profiles from inspired works. But that is derailing.

Yobo Blue said:
@Agnaa

If they aren't stated to be pure fanfiction and treat the verses that supposedly are being taken from, why not? Even then, it's a bad analogy. Since the Awesomeverse doesn't draw from any one thing.
I don't understand the first sentence.

The analogy can be easily switched to draw from multiple things. A fanfiction where a person's OCs interact with a different fictional character each story, living out a happy life. Then, 20 chapters of this in, an alien invasion happens and the OCs go out to fight it, without any interaction or reference to the fictional family. Things go back to normal for another 20 chapters of slice of life before a cosmic anomaly gets fought, etc.

This is even better than Awesomeverse/Cinemassacre since the feats aren't ever based around the fictional characters, but I'd argue that it shouldn't be on the site, because it's 95% derivative.

Yobo Blue said:
The feats in the Awesomeverse are not based around the fictional scaling tho
Oh my god, I didn't say they were, or that it was a reason not to include them.

I said that there's at least 1 feat within both of those verses that is based around fictional characters not fictional scaling.

Please go back and actually engage with the rest of my post.

Even then, @Agnaa, it's not treating those as fiction, which is the big difference, nor is it not focusing on a single verse, even if it does included multiple things, so it's still a false analogy.

Removes the YouTube Profiles

"Hey those Looney Tunes shorts and SpongeBob are similar to that they should go too.

Removes Inconsistent Cartoons

"Hey those Comedy shows like South Park were similar to that. They should be removed too"

Removes Comedy shows

Don't yall see where this goes?

Oh my god, I didn't say they were, or that it was a reason not to include them.

I said that there's at least 1 feat within both of those verses that is based around fictional characters not fictional scaling.

Please go back and actually engage with the rest of my post.

There is not any of that either

Already did, look below.

Mhm.

Its status as fiction doesn't change the fact that it's part of the verse, just saying. Or the fact that the premise of the series is reviewing fictional works that actually exist, thorough Fair Use.

Starter Pack said:
You contradict yourself. They're treated as "fiction" but they're interacted with frequently and some of these interactions are considered feats if they 'line up'.

This is simply more cherrypicking to force round pegs through square holes. As I've said previously, taking away elements of a fanon, doesn't make it not a fanon.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Anyway, it was agreed to keep Awesomeverse and Cinemassacre separate as they're two different publishers with their own narratives.
That, sadly, doesn't make the verses' fates written in stone.

I hope discussion here can change that fact.

Also, them being "two different publishers" with "their own narratives" doesn't handwave any of the issues I brought up on this thread.

Yobo Blue said:
Even then, @Agnaa, it's not treating those as fiction, which is the big difference, nor is it not focusing on a single verse, even if it does included multiple things, so it's still a false analogy.
So being 98% derivative content is allowed... As long as it references multiple works, usually doesn't play into the plot, and is referred to as fictional in-verse.

This really just reads like a bunch of excuses to allow only reviewers and disallow any content that's similar.

The derivative content being fictional or not in-verse shouldn't matter.

So being 98% derivative content is allowed... As long as it references multiple works, usually doesn't play into the plot, and is referred to as fictional in-verse.

This really just reads like a bunch of excuses to allow only reviewers and disallow any content that's similar.

Except that's practically what makes a fanfic a fanfic, and if it isn't there it isn't?

Yobo Blue said:
There is not any of that either

Already did, look below.
There is that. Bugs Bunny is referenced on AVGN's profile. Bugs Bunny is a fictional character that a feat is based around.

The problem is once again that you're still looking at it from a "viewer perspective", already something established to be a bad idea.

You're trying to make it sound very specific, but in reality those are cornerstones that make fanfics fanfics.

Besides, excuses are just something that justify it. Even if the word itself has a negative connotation, a excuse is still a reason.

Yobo Blue said:
The problem is once again that you're still looking at it from a "viewer perspective", already something established to be a bad idea.
That hasn't been established, I argued against it here. That's where this chain of conversation came from in the first place.

That hasn't been established, I argued against it here. That's where this chain of conversation came from in the first place.

You have yet to respond to my counter arguments on that, however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back