• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

YouTube Profiles Quality Control Discussion (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yobo Blue said:
You have yet to respond to my counter arguments on that, however
I responded to your counterarguments on it. You provided counter arguments here, so I responded here, and you responded here, then I responded here, you responded here, I responded here, you responded here, and then I started writing this post and my previous one to respond to your other arguments.

I've responded to your shit thoroughly.

You're trying to make it sound very specific, but in reality those are cornerstones that make fanfics fanfics.

I know that AVGN and Nostalgia Critic are technically reviews and not fanfiction, but the thing separating the two is meaningless, imo. Because it's irrelevant to the actual reason why fanfiction isn't allowed; because it's almost entirely derivative content, which AVGN/NC are.

Besides, excuses are just something that justify it. Even if the word itself has a negative connotation, a excuse is still a reason.

And your excuses aren't acceptable reasons, imo.

I have yet to see that tbh, but I've expanded on that, so using arguments that have been responded to is bad in any case

The actual thing that separates what we allow here is what actually occurs within a verse is part of another verse, and that needs to be separated due to a few factors.

Opinions, opinions.

I have yet to see that tbh

Look, I showed you the exact post.

but I've expanded on that, so using arguments that have been responded to is bad in any case

I don't know what you're referring to with this.

The actual thing that separates what we allow here is what actually occurs within a verse is part of another verse, and that needs to be separated due to a few factors.

Many fanfictions don't occur in the actual verse, they just take the characters and move it to a different verse, with different locations, rules, etc. If your only issue is "occurring in the same verse" then these should be allowed, no?

Opinions, opinions.

Literally every single thing to do with vs debating is just opinions. There is nothing objective. What we take as canon is based on opinions, what methods we use for calculations is based on opinions, what's an outlier is based on opinions, what's PIS is based on opinions, which abilities trounce which is based on opinions, and finally, what we allow on the site (the topic of this thread) is based on opinions.

Now, we can discuss the merits of various opinions and their outcomes, or you can just dismiss mine with "Opinions, opinions."

And I don't see how those really do that, honestly

Yeah, but the difference here is that those characters themselves are part of the setting.

Not really? By that logic the opinions of someone on Comicvine are reasonable arguments here. I don't want to get into relativism or subjectivity and the issues with it unless we really have to though.

You were free to respond to those posts then, if you disagree you're still free to respond to them now.

I'm gonna try and refine my earlier analogy, but if that doesn't pan out then we'll just come back to this point. So go back to my analogy here but instead of the fictional characters just appearing for no reason, they're inexplicably made real using Toon Force, Reality Warping, Subjective Reality, Immersion, or Plot Manipulation. Since they're fictional characters being made real and not the characters themselves, does it cease to be a fanfiction and would it be allowed on the site?

I wouldn't say that they're reasonable opinions, but they're still opinions, and we've still got opinions. My point being, dismissing my arguments as being "Opinions" when that's the complete entirety of both of our arguments is a bit weird.

They're not main characters or part of the plot. They're the driving factor for character interactions that take up 95% of the writing but aren't important to the plot.

Agnaa said:
They're not main characters or part of the plot. They're the driving factor for character interactions that take up 95% of the writing but aren't important to the plot.
Ah, I see what you're trying to get at.

No, because in this case the actual characters themselves only appear at some points, rather than what you're saying having them be their all the time as actual beings, assuming that's what you meant by character interaction

Anyway, I think what should count as a fanfiction should be its own thread, as it's a much bigger issue than what's on YouTube.

Yobo Blue said:
Ah, I see what you're trying to get at.

No, because in this case the actual characters themselves only appear at some points, rather than what you're saying having them be their all the time as actual beings, assuming that's what you meant by character interaction
And how does this work into your criteria of "The actual thing that separates what we allow here is what actually occurs within a verse is part of another verse, and that needs to be separated due to a few factors."?

Yobo Blue said:
Anyway, I think what should count as a fanfiction should be its own thread, as it's a much bigger issue than what's on YouTube.
Feel free to make it.

EDIT: Please stop making 5 posts in a row, you're eating up all the posts.

@Yobo Blue. Okay, can you please stop quadruple/quintuple posting. I get this thread is going out of control and should probably be closed, but posting 5 times in a row is only further spouting out the obnoxiousness. And I don't think it was worth posting on the RVR thread either as no one's outright being hostile. It appears heated, but no one has ill will. Anyway, this was made into a staff only thread for a reason, but apparently even that wasn't good enough to keep the peace. If we're going to continue, a new staff only thread should probably be refreshed and it should preferably be made by someone more open-minded one way or the other.

There's a reason editing your own posts is a thing.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
@Yobo Blue. Okay, can you please stop quadruple/quintuple posting. I get this thread is going out of control and should probably be closed, but posting 5 times in a row is only further spouting out the obnoxiousness. And I don't think it was worth posting on the RVR thread either as no one's outright being hostile. It appears heated, but no one has ill will. Anyway, this was made into a staff only thread for a reason, but apparently even that wasn't good enough to keep the peace. If we're going to continue, a new staff only thread should probably be refreshed and it should preferably be made by someone more open-minded one way or the other.
Sorry bout that. Just needed to respond quickly. I also think it is at least worth being looked over just in case, which is why I reported it.

Since that conversation's going to another thread, how should we proceed? Dargoo's large post has made things a bit disorganized, so should we talk about his other points (that aren't about internet reviewers) or simply keep going down the list in the OP?

The fact that Dargoo comments about losing faith in this community and then makes the argument he does comes off as so misguided.

The "it's just trying to skirt the rules", "people are just pushing the site's boundaries", "people are just trying to shitpost" are appeal to motives, nothing more nothing less. Is anyone actually supposed to take decisions based on assuming someone's intent instead of inspecting profiles in reference to our official standards seriously? No, if you want to remove profiles, make a case based on the accepted standards, personal dissatisfaction has no place here.

And assuming people do want to make meme content for the hell of it why does that even matter?, are we actually trying to judge what compels someone to use an entertainment site now? Not if they are formatting the profile correctly, not if the official rules are being violated, but if the reasonings for people wanting characters here is "bad" and that is, frankly, some of the biggest BS I've seen from any staff here. Just simply judge things by the established rules please.

we're about 400 messages in and we've legitimately dealt with about 2-3 of the few dozen YouTube pages/verses

Except we don't treat characters from YouTube series as meme content. If we were giving everyone a 1-A or above tier based on joke statements or cross scaling, that would be reserved for Joke Battles wiki. However, Youtubers playing an original copyright character and actively performing their own feats regularly is not joke battles but legit copyrighted indexing.

I'm referring to Andy's comment about why we should care if people are making meme content.

Also yes, motive fallacy or not, it's clear that Dargoo's right about people skirting the rules to make YT persona profiles. You can deny it all you want but it's just that, denial. Not necessarily AVGN or the Critic, but I can promise you that people aren't making the Tobuscus pages because they think they would make a good addition to VSBW.

Not gonna argue much further if the thread has gone on for so long already

But I will just make it clear that judgements not based on official rules but assumption regarding motives are completely worthless, we need some level of objectivity when dealing with matters like this and this is the furthest thing from it

"but I can promise you that people aren't making the Tobuscus pages because they think they would make a good addition to VSBW."

Except that's the exact reason I made his page. Because he had a lot of power, skill, and potential. Not for the "Oh lol YouTube and memes". His page was taken 100 percent seriously. And he had a lot of powers and skills that qualified him.

Buttersamuri said:
"but I can promise you that people aren't making the Tobuscus pages because they think they would make a good addition to VSBW."

Except that's the exact reason I made his page. Because he had a lot of power, skill, and potential. Not for the "Oh lol YouTube and memes". His page was taken 100 percent seriously. And he had a lot of powers and skills that qualified him.
I can't speak for you specifically, but a lot of these profiles are obviously made for YouTube and memes.

HeadlessKramer made a page for Matpat's walking dead appearance, and quickly gave him two matches, against Freddy Fazbear and Pewdiepie. The motives behind this are pretty obvious.

@Andy Before you say it, I know "motives don't matter", I'm responding to Butter's post not yours.

I can't speak for you specifically, but a lot of these profiles are obviously made for YouTube and memes.

HeadlessKramer made a page for Matpat's walking dead appearance, and quickly gave him two matches, against Freddy Fazbear and Pewdiepie. The motives behind this are pretty obvious.

Yes, the Versus Threads are made for memes, but so are a ton of other VTs. And no, Matt's page wasn't made for the memes either. Matt's page was made shortly after a discussion on the previous Youtuber Profiles thread where I asked if my FC/OC profile on composite fictional Matpat could be brought over, which was denied, obviously.

Matches doesn't matter. Heck. Someone did Phoenix Wright vs Thomas the tank engine. How serious of a fight does that sound like?

And fights that are obvious are gonna happen. That's just gonna happen. But that doesn't mean we should judge pages like Matpat. As long as his page is acceptable under the rules, which it is, then the intent doesn't matter. The page still has to be taken seriously when being made. And Matts page was made cause his Orginal channel wasn't acceptable for a page on here. So someone made it for Game version which is acceptable. So that's not even that Meme like.

But motives behind making fights shouldn't have any bearing at all. Literally 0. Nobody here can pretend fights with normal characters don't have meme fights. Those kinds of fights are ok as long as they don't break any rules like being a stomp.

Yeah and so were Terry Crews and Isaiah Mustafa at the time. They created rules to keep the site clean. We were much stricter back in 2015 and should've stayed that level of strictness.

Cal, this isn't the time or place to be complaining about the site's current state, if you have any violations to the rules the pages are making then point them out, otherwise stop derailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back