• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

General Rora has an existential crisis, but every time he does, Crabwhale calls him something.

I have my priorities straight:

• -1: God
  • 0: Jokes
  • 1: Trolling
  • 2: Originality
  • ∞: Existing

Crabwhale said:
Imagine being so incompetent your last Moon landing was over 46 years ago.

This post was made by pissed off space fan.
Imagine not understanding that going to the moon takes an extrodinary amount of money and would be pointless to continue doing unless you could stay.

"Extraordinary amount of money"

US military budget: Over 700 billion $ last time I checked, or literally larger than every other great power combined.

Oh, and btw, the military supplied NASA with two telescopes equivalent to Kepler that are just rotting in shelves because they don't have enough money to launch them.

NASA isn't part of the military and don't have anywhere near the budget you crusty crustacean. And don't even try to suggest that landing on the moon a few more times in more important than defending half the planet.

"Defending"

Yeah, right, sure. Because as we all know those funds aren't used to fuel insurrections, wage pointless wars or be wasted in worthless bureaucratic pursuits.

Seriously, just look up the F-35 to see what taxpayer money is wasted on.

Also, space is the future of mankind. I know we don't have a tendency to think in the long term, but it'll be much harder later if we don't set up a good basis now.

And that's a fact.

Crabwhale said:
"Defending"
Yeah, right, sure. Because as we all know those funds aren't used to fuel insurrections, wage pointless wars or be wasted in worthless bureaucratic pursuits.

Seriously, just look up the F-35 to see what taxpayer money is wasted on.
Yes, defending,. It's easy for you to act like they aren't doing anything because you aren't living in a country that is dependant on their military presence to deter a certain crazy dictator from doing something stupid.

Crabwhale said:
Also, space is the future of mankind. I know we don't have a tendency to think in the long term, but it'll be much harder later if we don't set up a good basis now.
And that's a fact.
**** off with that shit, life cant even sustain itself on any planet other than Earth, it would be pointless to set up a base on Mars for any reason other than to say "We did it, Murica, **** yeah!"

Crabwhale said:
Seol404 said:
NASA isn't part of the military and don't have anywhere near the budget you crusty crustacean.
Well they should :mad:
No they shouldn't, NASA isn't paying for defenses all over Europe and Asia. Including my country.

Earth doesn't have unlimited resources. And unless you haven't noticed, we're kinda shit at conserving them. We will need to venture out eventually. Maybe not this century. Maybe not even the next. But it will happen.

TheDarkSide857 said:
Crabwhale said:
Earth doesn't have unlimited resources. And unless you haven't noticed, we're kinda shit at conserving them. We will need to venture out eventually. Maybe not this century. Maybe not even the next. But it will happen.
Guys, stop arguing. Otherwise if you keep arguing then you will kiss like in those movies.
Shut up, other me!!!!

Crabwhale said:
Okay Thanos, if you're talking about oil and other such fuel sources, solar energy exists, as does wind and hydro. And as far as food goes, Cows wont stop breeding, Chickens wont stop laying eggs, and crop wont stop growing.

TheDarkSide857 said:
Why, my alternate account? These two's argument was unnessecary and was starting to get repetitive, so I had to interject.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that you had to add the "Otherwise if you keep arguing then you will kiss like in those movies." part!

It would have been pointless to waste billions of dollars going to the moon if we were unable to stay.

Seol404 said:
It would have been pointless to waste billions of dollars going to the moon if we were unable to stay.
This argument is kinda getting pointless, to be honest, though. It happened, no point wondering how it happened.

You're implying that if that money was invested, we wouldn't have found a way to do it sooner.

And I don't think you comprehend just how much money is wasted on this. Refer to the F-35 again and any analyst who knows their stuff. The US Military is overbudget, it has been for a long time.

And stop thinking of them as some saints that have world peace in mind. They don't.

I just want to interject to say that I agree with crabby, most of the US military budget is bullshit

Yeah of course the US military budget is overpent, its not like they want top of the line weapons or anything.

I cant wait for China to become the number one military power.

146 billion vs over 700 billion

Yeah, okay, sure, whatever, agree to disagree.

The US has treaties defending a quarter of the world. Only a fraction can be spent in the Pacific.

And China is only defending itself

I don't really need to say anything considering I've got an actual American agreeing with me, and I've brought up real, mindbogglingly overbudget failures that are still going on due to bureaucracy.

It seems I can't convince you, so why even bother?

Having an American agree with you doesn't mean your right, what kind of idiotic logic is that? While the US starves its military budget trying to land people on some red rock out in the middle of nowhere only to pull them back immediately after. China will be increasing its power where things actually matter, because they have the future in mind, not some sci-fi fans wet dream.

Because an American might marginally know a bit more about, oh I dunno, his own country.

"China will be increasing its power where things actually matter, because they have the future in mind, not some sci-fi fans wet dream."

Trying to ridicule your opposition with nothing backing you up. Ah yes, one of my favorite tactics. It's not like every brilliant mind in the world today is actively suggesting the ramping up of space operations.

There are Americans who think the US military budget should be bigger, so that argument is invalid.

I wasn't talking about you went I said "some sci-fi fans wet dream"

There are also brilliant minds in the world who realize that an authoritarian state should not be the number one economic and military power in the world. Can you please provide a reason to go to space other than to say "YAY! We did it, lets go back now"

Haha, no.

I know you're going to try and rebute me anyway, even if I bring up actual statistics. It's just psychology after all. The longer a debate drones on, the more entrenched each side becomes in their own view.

But I will tell you to maybe check the thing I said instead of grasping at straws.

Peace

So, is there any reason we should go to space other than to pat ourselves on the back and say we did it? Or because some scientist said we should? Because appeal to authority doesn't make your argument stronger?

Please, I just want one reason.

Back