• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
But it's a battle of which one has better: art, world building, character, and story so go ahead put your arguments here
34034491_2082787158629070_8263919906781659136_o.jpg

0cb0d50c71e117b4477ed272e6fcb404.jpg

Last edited:
Maou Gakuin has better Art in the Light Novel and Anime, but TenSura has better art in Manga (my opinion)
World Building: I do prefer TenSura world building, as it is one of my favorite franchises, but Maou Gakuin is also pretty good
Story: I do prefer TenSura, same case as the world building stuff
Characters: I do prefer TenSura characters over most of Maou Gakuin characters
Story: I do enjoy both, but I prefer TenSura

Art
Hands down, Maou Gakuin's art is better TenSura's. TenSura has a wacky and odd art style. It certainly grew on me and I like it, but Maou Gakuin has such a great art style. Simultaneously badass looking and makes characters look amazing. Also it's more detailed,and just overall better. Just look below.
OfbhA13.jpeg
81UP9i8NHSL.jpg

2.png
tensei%2Bshitara%2Bdatta%2Bken.jpg

Manga art style for TenSura does look very nice though.

Manga: TenSura > Maou Gakuin
Anime: Maou Gakuin > TenSura
Light Novel: Maou Gakuin >>>>> TenSura

World Building
TenSura certainly has a lot more world building (one might even say too much), but I always found Maou Gakuin's gods, weapons, magic with cool abilities and names, and multiverse better than TenSura's more generic world that is somewhat confusing at times. I've never been a fan of game-like world building with the skills, ranks, and a million different races. The skills also have boring powers compared to Maou Gakuin's magic. Weapons in TenSura don't really get a spotlight and are not special. For example, Rimuru had a plain-looking mythical black katana (or something) that is made of some durable metal that doesn't do anything special (and Rimuru isn't really the best at swordfights either and barely gets by just because of Raphael/Ciel). Meanwhile, Anos has a god-like jet-black shadow sword that destroys the infinite and eternal and even reason and logic and looks very badass (can even fight against top swordsmans with his other swords through skill.) Weapons in Maou Gakuin also have secret depths (some have many) which do even more special things.

Characters
Anos >>>>> Rimuru (in power, character, background, development, and pretty much everything else). The side characters of both series are quite equal. I still think Maou Gakuin > TenSura in side characters because the characters in Maou Gakuin get their own arcs and flashbacks while in TenSura they don't. You really learn Maou Gakuin's characters' motivations and personalities while everyone in TenSura is like "my life sucked before Rimuru saved me and now life is good and I serve him for eternity". TenSura has some funny characters like Veldora of course. As for the character's strength, powers and abilities, Maou Gakuin >>>> TenSura easily obviously. Very interesting hax in Maou Gakuin. Has a character with a spear that transcends space and time, a character who can't be destroyed even if you destroy even the nothingness after his destruction and used a scythe that can mess up cause and effect, a character that manipulates possibilities, etc.

Story
I prefer Maou Gakuin's story (Anos: saving the multiverse with style) vs TenSura (Rimuru: trying to build a nation where he can live a comfortable life). I always enjoyed the mysteries in the arcs of Maou Gakuin (who is Avos Dillhevia?, what was my past?, who is the king of the gods?, etc). TenSura was always more predictable IMO (someone attacked me so I fight back to keep my peaceful life). TenSura always felt like a story to enjoy during free time while Maou Gakuin is the story you set aside free time for. Both TenSura and Maou Gakuin have OP main characters, but Anos does it way better. TenSura also has some lame moments. Rimuru is all like "I gotta protect my people" and TenSura just has moments that try to make you feel sad but fail. In later arcs, overpowered armies just destroy everyone else. Maou Gakuin is the same but better ("Tempest Federation vs the Empire which takes place in a big maze" and then there is "The nations of the world including humans, demons, spirits, and dragonewts vs the god race in a world-ending battle"). And dear god, the damn labyrinth arc was boring af. I feel like TenSura has many moments of just boring stuff, mostly useless world building. Maou Gakuin is just constant entertainment, action, and comedy. TenSura does have many spinoffs and side stories (slice of life moments) which are nice. The fights in Maou Gakuin are so much better and it's not even a competition. Not only are there more interesting powers, there is actually some strategy. TenSura is literally just Rimuru letting Great Sage/Raphael/Ciel doing everything for him and his attacks are literally just him eating his opponents with Gluttony/Beelzebub/Azathoth. Anos actually uses new powers and weapons. First few arcs were Jio Graze, Bebesd and then later he starts using Egil Grone Angdroa, Levine Girma, Veneziara. After that there comes the Two Laws Sword, Rayon, etc. And while Anos is very OP the enemies he fights actually are quite strong too instead of Rimuru just flawlessly defeating everyone which makes his enemies look too lame and weak. If your enemies are look weak then you don't actually look strong after defeating them. And then TenSura has a lot of common tropes and cliches in anime and Maou Gakuin feels more unique to me. I find things funnier in Maou Gakuin ("Did you think killing me would be enough to make me die?", can't wait for a solar eclipse so moves the moon instead vs a bunch of "haha, I like elves and they're hot", "haha, I know manga" and then a bunch of references to other works, "Shion's cooking is bad", "how dare you insult Rimuru?" beats up the person who insulted Rimuru). Perhaps I just feel like a lot of jokes are repetitive in TenSura and while Anos makes a lot of "Did you think...?" statements they're always new and amusing.

Conclusion
Maou Gakuin > TenSura
I like Maou Gakuin because it's a story with OP main character done right without sacrificing on character development and story. TenSura kinda feels like a bit of OP main character, slice of life, and other things. I like action and comedy and Maou Gakuin gives it to me. Feels like a jack of all trades. Honestly, my biggest complaint for Maou Gakuin is the fact that there are no English-translated light novels. I enjoy both stories though, and I have read/watched through all of Maou Gakuin and TenSura (including the WN but not the non-canon manga). Hopefully, I don't seem like I'm bashing on TenSura too hard.

TLDR: TenSura is great but for every reason I like TenSura, Maou Gakuin does it better.

In terms of everything, Maou Gakuin.
I do prefer Tensura in terms of comedy more than Maou GAKUIN.
Art
Hands down, Maou Gakuin's art is better TenSura's. TenSura has a wacky and odd art style. It certainly grew on me and I like it, but Maou Gakuin has such a great art style. Simultaneously badass looking and makes characters look amazing. Also it's more detailed,and just overall better. Just look below.
OfbhA13.jpeg
81UP9i8NHSL.jpg

2.png
tensei%2Bshitara%2Bdatta%2Bken.jpg

Manga art style for TenSura does look very nice though.

Manga: TenSura > Maou Gakuin
Anime: Maou Gakuin > TenSura
Light Novel: Maou Gakuin >>>>> TenSura

World Building
TenSura certainly has a lot more world building (one might even say too much), but I always found Maou Gakuin's gods, weapons, magic with cool abilities and names, and multiverse better than TenSura's more generic world that is somewhat confusing at times. I've never been a fan of game-like world building with the skills, ranks, and a million different races. The skills also have boring powers compared to Maou Gakuin's magic. Weapons in TenSura don't really get a spotlight and are not special. For example, Rimuru had a plain-looking mythical black katana (or something) that is made of some durable metal that doesn't do anything special (and Rimuru isn't really the best at swordfights either and barely gets by just because of Raphael/Ciel). Meanwhile, Anos has a god-like jet-black shadow sword that destroys the infinite and eternal and even reason and logic and looks very badass (can even fight against top swordsmans with his other swords through skill.) Weapons in Maou Gakuin also have secret depths (some have many) which do even more special things.

Characters
Anos >>>>> Rimuru (in power, character, background, development, and pretty much everything else). The side characters of both series are quite equal. I still think Maou Gakuin > TenSura in side characters because the characters in Maou Gakuin get their own arcs and flashbacks while in TenSura they don't. You really learn Maou Gakuin's characters' motivations and personalities while everyone in TenSura is like "my life sucked before Rimuru saved me and now life is good and I serve him for eternity". TenSura has some funny characters like Veldora of course. As for the character's strength, powers and abilities, Maou Gakuin >>>> TenSura easily obviously. Very interesting hax in Maou Gakuin. Has a character with a spear that transcends space and time, a character who can't be destroyed even if you destroy even the nothingness after his destruction and used a scythe that can mess up cause and effect, a character that manipulates possibilities, etc.

Story
I prefer Maou Gakuin's story (Anos: saving the multiverse with style) vs TenSura (Rimuru: trying to build a nation where he can live a comfortable life). I always enjoyed the mysteries in the arcs of Maou Gakuin (who is Avos Dillhevia?, what was my past?, who is the king of the gods?, etc). TenSura was always more predictable IMO (someone attacked me so I fight back to keep my peaceful life). TenSura always felt like a story to enjoy during free time while Maou Gakuin is the story you set aside free time for. Both TenSura and Maou Gakuin have OP main characters, but Anos does it way better. TenSura also has some lame moments. Rimuru is all like "I gotta protect my people" and TenSura just has moments that try to make you feel sad but fail. In later arcs, overpowered armies just destroy everyone else. Maou Gakuin is the same but better ("Tempest Federation vs the Empire which takes place in a big maze" and then there is "The nations of the world including humans, demons, spirits, and dragonewts vs the god race in a world-ending battle"). And dear god, the damn labyrinth arc was boring af. I feel like TenSura has many moments of just boring stuff, mostly useless world building. Maou Gakuin is just constant entertainment, action, and comedy. TenSura does have many spinoffs and side stories (slice of life moments) which are nice. The fights in Maou Gakuin are so much better and it's not even a competition. Not only are there more interesting powers, there is actually some strategy. TenSura is literally just Rimuru letting Great Sage/Raphael/Ciel doing everything for him and his attacks are literally just him eating his opponents with Gluttony/Beelzebub/Azathoth. Anos actually uses new powers and weapons. First few arcs were Jio Graze, Bebesd and then later he starts using Egil Grone Angdroa, Levine Girma, Veneziara. After that there comes the Two Laws Sword, Rayon, etc. And while Anos is very OP the enemies he fights actually are quite strong too instead of Rimuru just flawlessly defeating everyone which makes his enemies look too lame and weak. If your enemies are look weak then you don't actually look strong after defeating them. And then TenSura has a lot of common tropes and cliches in anime and Maou Gakuin feels more unique to me. I find things funnier in Maou Gakuin ("Did you think killing me would be enough to make me die?", can't wait for a solar eclipse so moves the moon instead vs a bunch of "haha, I like elves and they're hot", "haha, I know manga" and then a bunch of references to other works, "Shion's cooking is bad", "how dare you insult Rimuru?" beats up the person who insulted Rimuru). Perhaps I just feel like a lot of jokes are repetitive in TenSura and while Anos makes a lot of "Did you think...?" statements they're always new and amusing.

Conclusion
Maou Gakuin > TenSura
I like Maou Gakuin because it's a story with OP main character done right without sacrificing on character development and story. TenSura kinda feels like a bit of OP main character, slice of life, and other things. I like action and comedy and Maou Gakuin gives it to me. Feels like a jack of all trades. Honestly, my biggest complaint for Maou Gakuin is the fact that there are no English-translated light novels. I enjoy both stories though, and I have read/watched through all of Maou Gakuin and TenSura (including the WN but not the non-canon manga). Hopefully, I don't seem like I'm bashing on TenSura too hard.

TLDR: TenSura is great but for every reason I like TenSura, Maou Gakuin does it better.
Nailed it💥💥, you voiced our opinions in the best possible way, bro. Loved it.

I watched both entries' anime and read both mangas, but never read the LNs in full yet for obvious reasons. But I'm gonna say this: I really liked Maou Gakuin's character designs, but I was never a fan of its writing. No offense, it felt more so like one ginormous powerscaling fest. Tensura can be argued to have a similar issue, but its worldbuilding is actually quite fun and a lot more engaging, even at some of its lowest points.

Again, only speaking from limited knowledge here.

TenSura, generally all around.

Art:

Strictly from a LN perspective, Mitz Vah is very unorthodox with angular shots and smooth strokes, an anthesis to most art I’ve seen, which is usually rough (which I also enjoy), and sharp. There are a couple of unattractive shots, but those begin to fade as the volumes go on. Maou Gakuin just feels uninspired and very generic, the same as virtually every other recent light-novel with same-face syndrome, and overall just boring designs with lack of anything substantial to them. You’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all. This is actually partially why I don’t really like the TenSura anime, angular faces in every single person is so boring and repetitive, and there’s no shortage of it there.

World Building:

I’m actually going to refrain on commenting on this, as I’m not done with the TenSura light-novel, and it supposedly offers way more world-building than the WN, but I do acknowledge that it does have rather interesting world building, and you get to see a country work from the ground up step by step. So, if I had to, TenSura, but I don’t want to.

Characters:

TenSura. Rimuru on his own is leagues more interesting to me than anyone in Maou Gakuin, because he genuinely feels flawed. Noted by Dwargo, he’s too emotional, lacks an iron fist, and talks too much. He doesn’t know all of his capabilities, he’s extremely cautious, and he needs people to build him up just as they need someone to look forward to. I’m not going to assert he’s some narratively written masterpiece of a character, but he’s certainly a very good refresher of the “op character done right”, when they’re really not. Saitama and Rimuru are the only ones that seem to execute this trope perfectly, not because they lose a fight, but because there’s more to them than their strength.

There’s more characters that I believe deserve recognition, like Laplace, a genius, yet overlooked majin jester that ultimately laughs in the face of everything to mask his reaction to the world around him.

Hinata acts as similar, a narrow-minded tunnel visioned Saint with a binary view on “monsters are bad, humans are good”, and breaking that ideal for a world she sees fit through her own lense.

There are more examples, but I will not deny some characters do, indeed, fall very flat. That is one of my problems with the series, with a cast so big it’s hard to care about every character.

People genuinely feel human in here. They have flawed familial relationships, disdain for their saviors, a sense of revenge and regret, so on, etc.

Characters in Maou Gakuin just seem, inhuman. Like, Misha is impossibly attached to Anos… after seeing him once, and he hardly said anything to her. Then, his parents are so dumbfounded by the prospect of him having a girl over? Why does Misha’s twin sister (that’s also part of her) want to kill her so bad? People here don’t actually feel like written characters, Sasha is the generic tsundere royal character, and unlike people like Noelle, Kikoru, and Rin… she doesn’t seem to actually have anything going for her.

Story:

TenSura isn’t a revolutionary story. But it’s an effective one. Choosing comedy as it’s first hook, reeling people in with the premise of him being a slime, when most usually retain their human body. It’s almost an insult to him, to be frank. But this is very easily circumvented by world-building, exploration, politics, and combat is genuinely the least of all worries. The story as a whole shifts from a very small space trying to raise itself up from the bottom, to a prosperous country of void of discrimination, human or monster. The current arc deals with the sentience of a Ultimate Skill, Michael, trying to obtain a body to exact his goals on the physical world.

Overall:

It’s very easy to see why TenSura is the most popular isekai in years, recently breaking over 25+ million copies in circulation, and it’s a standalone breakthrough from the typical genre of isekai, especially considering the titans of I the genre are beginning to fade, with multiple heavy titles like Overlord, Konosuba, and TenSura all reaching their ends in the light novel.

Plus, wow, never seen anything rip into a series like this.

Last edited:
Actually, she dont wants to, it was the only way to make Misha "live", there has some explanation regarding it, but im to lazy lmao
That’s even more convoluted. Misha was there for her, yet Sasha hates her, yet she’s trying to save her, by killing her, that she actually doesn’t want to do, but it actually makes her live?

Sounds like a horrible, washed version of Yuji Itadori vs Yuta Okkotsu, which was actually done right.

That’s even more convoluted. Misha was there for her, yet Sasha hates her, yet she’s trying to save her, by killing her, that she actually doesn’t want to do, but it actually makes her live?

Sounds like a horrible, washed version of Yuji Itadori vs Yuta Okkotsu, which was actually done right.
Hmmm your opinion sounds more like you don't know anything about the other series you're throwing so much hate lol

Yeah, that just feels not human. All of a sudden she just flips the script and trashes her to protect her?
Due to the nature of the spell created by Ivis (Evil Dude), Sasha had to make Misha hate her so that she would take her place as the real one, since Misha was going to disappear and Sasha wanted her to live, although in the end Misha never hated her and then, Anos arrived and saved both.
Queee, eres español?? yo pensaba que eras Latino Jajajajaja. Me dijiste que no eras Español de España XD

Pero bueno, yo soy de España XD
I'm latin from Latin America not España

There are so many things I don't like about Maou Gakuin, although I'm not going to get angry or throw hate at people who hate the series/don't know anything about it, my general opinion is that I like both Tensura and Maou Gakuin, but I like the latter more than Tensura.

Well actually I understand why do ppl hate Maou Gakuin if they only watch anime lol
Because they just think it is a generic isekai anime with Mc Op, due to the way Anime cut too much of the original content of the novel.

There are so many things I don't like about Maou Gakuin, although I'm not going to get angry or throw hate at people who hate the series/don't know anything about it, my general opinion is that I like both Tensura and Maou Gakuin, but I like the latter more than Tensura.
All of this is irrelevant. What asserts I hate the series, or don’t know anything about it, or that I’m angry? There were claims on TenSura earlier I could’ve refuted, but that’s their interpretation, not mine, so why should I care? If you believe I’m hateful, go for it, I frankly don’t care, like I said, I just find it very intriguing the opinion you don’t agree with is automatically associated with anger, hate, and ignorance.

Normally a 12-episode Anime covers at most 4 chapters of a LN, i.e. too much relevant information is skipped, it is understandable due to many factors.

Basically if Misha doesn't reject Sasha she will disappear,that's why Sasha did a lot of bad things to Misha so that Misha will hate Sasha and be alive
I’m not understanding though. Misha, as far as I recall, didn’t hate her. Even as she got stabbed in the chest by her, she seemed more melancholy. Coupled with the fact she was to disappear at midnight on her 15th birthday, I can’t imagine why she went through the effort to stab her if they were going to refuse anyways.

Back