• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
It’s still not a misunderstanding if the anime presented it as such. I started with the TenSura anime, just like I started with Maou Gakuin, fairly simple. Your response to me was “she didn’t expect Misha not to hate her after everything she did”, and that’s pretty barebones, considering I already posed a question similar to why it that makes no sense earlier, with one of the responses even being if you saw the explanation it will most likely not seem inhuman. Just because it’s explained doesn’t make it good.
You only start with Anime but I'm pretty sure this thread has been made to compare even the LN/WN version,which is unfair if you only use the trash version of Maou Gakuin to compare with good parts from TenShura,and honestly I'm fine if many people think the explanation from the series is hard to understand,but in fact only you think that it's non sense while others don't think like that at all,which means basically it's not the fault of the author,but the audience fails to understand his intention from the beginning
I could simply just say one of them has 25 million copies in circulation, and it’s not Maou Gakuin, and leave it there. But that’s not the objective of the post.
Of course it's definitely a success if TenShura has that amount of copies,but it doesn't mean its plot being better than one random fictional work because well,there are various ways to gain the popularity despite the story being average(I'm talking in general here,and I can tell some underrated works to compare with overrated works if it's needed)

You only start with Anime but I'm pretty sure this thread has been made to compare even the LN/WN version,which is unfair if you only use the trash version of Maou Gakuin to compare with good parts from TenShura,and honestly I'm fine if many people think the explanation from the series is hard to understand,but in fact only you think that it's non sense while others don't think like that at all,which means basically it's not the fault of the author,but the audience fails to understand his intention from the beginning
Now I’m unsure if you even read my initial post, because I mentioned flaws in Tensura too. I talked about LN & anime.

Of course it's definitely a success if TenShura has that amount of copies,but it doesn't mean its plot being better than one random fictional work because well,there are various ways to gain the popularity despite the story being average(I'm talking in general here,and I can tell some underrated works to compare with overrated works if it's needed)
But that’s not the objective of the post.

I know you mentioned flaws in TenShura as well but I mean you don't mention much positive things from LN/WN of Maou Gakuin,which is kinda one-sided opinion
You’re right, I’ll be sure to try and do that in my next analysis, and I’ll read the LN to wash my tongue of the anime.

Art :

This is an obvious answer, Maou gakuin has better art in both anime and novel but i prefer tensura more for Manga.

I hate the fact that tensura anime choose to mix novel and manga art instead of only manga art.

Character

Tensura :

Character in tensura are easy to read, they're a bunch good natured guy, otherwise i don't know the reason why they're turned into good people once they meet the Slime jesus. The Demon Lords is actually a gang of good guy who's been choosen by the God to protect the world.

Maou :

Tbh, i only watch anime and don't continue past it but based of what i watched it just bad, many Characters are one dimensional and the MC is a massive pushover. The worst of all of this is the fact that the bad guy is a bunch of idiots who dig their own grave, i cannot enjoy watching this because of those idiots keep coming to the almighty MC even though they already see how omnipotent the MC is.

Plot

Tensura :

Another typical Isekai that has the MC got cheat ability on early story, but this time is a blue blob that can eat anything. The story is fun to read, the way Rimuru make friends along the way is kinda enjoyable. As someone who dislike tragedy i can read and watch this without having to worry about sad ending. Yeah, when the tragedy happen i know/expected Shion and others would be ressurrected later on. Oh and to be honest i enjoyed Slime diaries more than both S1 Core 2 and S2, without the whole drama and fighting, slime is a perfect SoL anime but of course i know without the main story Slime diaries wouldn't be this perfect

Maou :

I liked this more as a parody/comedy anime like One punch man than a serious one. Unfortunately this is not a comedy/parody. Tbh the twist in the later episode is suprised me, the harems and perhaps this is because i don't read LN but i find many plot holes there and there (the biggest was the Hero literally killed his own mother for no fking reason, the biggest reason why the twist suprised me and why it is bad). If this is a comedy and parody anime the plot holes can be ignored to an extent though, but once again unfortunately this is not a comedy show as such it's looks half baked and bad. I don't find anything other than the edgy MC flexes his power on a bunch of small fry.

World building

Tensura :

Good. That's it, it has the politics, war, schemes and the civilization XII. I like how they started from zero to a full fledged nation, the process we can see it in Side story or extra volume which makes the pace in the main story not too slow (LN only the pace of anime is good until the Orc Lord Arc)

Maou :

I don't understand why the Demons looks exactly like Humans, what's the difference? Perhaps there's something different in there? Even the blood is red, i mean we can tell the difference with spirits who fade away when dying, but i cannot find the difference between demons and humans. Also no politics, the schemes is succesfully suprised me but not in a good way and well, the naming sense there is way too chuuni that it makes me cringe, i prefer they use the ability name in English or German or an actual words like most Fantasy Anime other than a chuuni name and a made up words. I prefer they take references somewhere to make it less cringe.

Conclusion

I enjoyed tensura more than maou gakuin, tbh i kinda suprised maou gakuin made it to score 7 at MAL maybe because the execution of the anime is not bad, i find maou gakuin is hard to be enjoyed because its way too mediocore, with the Overpowered MC flexes his power before his harem, many one dimensional character, idiots enemy and the plot holes. The reason i don't read the LN after i finished the anime and yeah coming to this forum make it even worse.

I think you misunderstood this part he didn't killed his own mother and it wasn't in the plan that she would be involved
He literally took her as hostage how it wasnt part of the plan that she would be involved? And i know the Author make Anos' monologue said he killed his own mother is not part of the plan to justify the plot hole, Maybe the novel explain it better? Dunno as i said, i'm only watched the anime.

Um what? It was the Royalists that took opportunity of Lay's mom. Lay was the one who wanted to free himself and her to begin with. He later explains that his mom almost dying wasn't part of his plan (he didn't had control of everything, only of the Seven Demon Emperors). Are we really talking about the same verse here?

Last edited:
The Demon Lords is actually a gang of good guy who's been choosen by the God to protect the world.
Uh, not really.
You have to explain your definition of "good guy" here, because most Demon Lords in Slime has committed war crimes, mass murder and even genocide. They're only "good" because they're not the typical "evil demon lord" characters, and that they're on Rimuru's side. They don't really change into "good guys" when they meet Rimuru, who himself is willing to commit genocide.
With the exception of Ramiris, who has done bad things herself, most Demon Lords are morally gray at best.
Also, the only one chosen among them is Guy. The rest are people wrangled by Guy himself.

Well, just pointing this out.

Um what? It was the Royalists that took Lay's mom as hostage. Lay was the one who wanted to free her to begin with. He later explains that his mom being taken wasn't part of his plan (he didn't had control of everything, only of the Seven Demon Emperors). Are we really talking about the same verse here?
This is what i don't understand, he could make entire nation believe he is the demon lord and wasnt the one who took his mother was the one he control? Melheis was it?

Uh, not really.
You have to explain your definition of "good guy" here, because most Demon Lords in Slime has committed war crimes, mass murder and even genocide. They're only "good" because they're not the typical "evil demon lord" characters, and that they're on Rimuru's side. They don't really change into "good guys" when they meet Rimuru, who himself is willing to commit genocide.
With the exception of Ramiris, who has done bad things herself, most Demon Lords are morally gray at best.
Also, the only one chosen among them is Guy. The rest are people wrangled by Guy himself.

Well, just pointing this out.
Don't need to explain when i literally said they were choosen by God to protect the world, naturally they're more of good guy but with wrong method type.

Don't need to explain when i literally said they were choosen by God to protect the world
Being "chosen by God" doesn't mean anything about whether they're good or bad. Especially since:
  1. I pointed out that only one of them is chosen. Only Guy Crimson.
  2. The role of Demon Lords is literally to be enemies of humanity.
  3. The role of the Heroes is literally to keep in check the Demon Lords if they become threats to humanity's existence.
Using your logic, that makes Twilight Valentine (who is likely Jahil) a good person, when he isn't. Feldway is created and chosen by Veldanava as well, and he isn't a good person either.
naturally they're more of good guy but with wrong method type.
They're a lot more nuanced and morally grey than that. I'd even go as far as to say that simplifying them like that is a disservice to their characters.

Take Leon for example. His participation in Summoning technology has nothing to do with being a "good guy but with wrong method" nonsense, it's purely due to selfish reasons regarding Chloe.

You are forgetting the fact that Melheis chose to be brainwashed by Kanon (and later he wouldn't recognize who Lay is due to the mindhax, only after Anos removes the mental effects)
I don't remember those were explained in Anime, also isnt Kanon is Lay?

Being "chosen by God" doesn't mean anything about whether they're good or bad. Especially since:
  1. I pointed out that only one of them is chosen. Only Guy Crimson.
  2. The role of Demon Lords is literally to be enemies of humanity.
  3. The role of the Heroes is literally to keep in check the Demon Lords if they become threats to humanity's existence.
Using your logic, that makes Twilight Valentine (who is likely Jahil) a good person, when he isn't. Feldway is created and chosen by Veldanava as well, and he isn't a good person either.

They're a lot more nuanced and morally grey than that. I'd even go as far as to say that simplifying them like that is a disservice to their characters.

Take Leon for example. His participation in Summoning technology has nothing to do with being a "good guy but with wrong method" nonsense, it's purely due to selfish reasons regarding Chloe.
Sorry but I don't have the energy to answer anymore which was also the reason I barely active in this wiki.

You’re right, I’ll be sure to try and do that in my next analysis, and I’ll read the LN to wash my tongue of the anime.
Well actually the experience of novel would be better if you start with it from the beginning,cus now you can predict almost everything about the plot from vol 1 to 3 after watching anime lol

But yeah I guess there would not be another better way to do the analysis

story: i dislike both but from what i see maou gakiuinininen is a generic power fantay while tensura HAS THOUGHT PUT INTO IT

worldbuilding: defs tensure, maou has no explanation for the world building (demons look like humans? what?)

Art: I hate Maou because it looks generic and so does everything else. Nothing looks like as it should, Anos looks too human. Rimuru is excused because he wanted to look that way

character: never read maou read tensura, everyone is one not in the former while the latter is just decent

prose: Hard to read for both. Japanese prose is weird in english, it throws me off.

story: i dislike both but from what i see maou gakiuinininen is a generic power fantay while tensura HAS THOUGHT PUT INTO IT

worldbuilding: defs tensure, maou has no explanation for the world building (demons look like humans? what?)

Art: I hate Maou because it looks generic and so does everything else. Nothing looks like as it should, Anos looks too human. Rimuru is excused because he wanted to look that way

character: never read maou read tensura, everyone is one not in the former while the latter is just decent

prose: Hard to read for both. Japanese prose is weird in english, it throws me off.
26d151eb21e11385e4ab0c1be7db8f20.jpg

Thanks for this deep and thorough analysis,now I change completely from a Maou Gakuin slave to a TenShura big fan and heck I even start to think that Maou Gakuin sucks for real and TenShura is the peak of fiction

Thanks for this deep and thorough analysis,now I change completely from a Maou Gakuin slave to a TenShura big fan and heck I even start to think that Maou Gakuin sucks for real and TenShura is the peak of fiction
good! you're halfway!

Now enjoy dragon ball

but seriously i haven't read both to the fullest because of the goddamn prose

Holy 🤔

you know what i'll maybe read both when i have the time so i can shit on them better (or maybe praise them! who knows)

That's what everyone should do instead of saying that X series sucks without having read the main source (I thought Mg's anime was good because I'm not picky and I don't care about anything, I just like watching anime). Besides, you can tell when you read the novel how different it is from the anime, as I said before.
Normally a 12-episode Anime covers at most 4 chapters of a LN, i.e. too much relevant information is skipped, it is understandable due to many factors.

A lot of negativity towards Maou Gakuin seems to come from people not understanding the plot which is understandable if you only watched the anime. You can complain as much as you'd like although I'm not here to diss the anime. Sure, you can say that Slime S1 was better than Maou Gakuin S1 (I'm sure S2 will be a better season with 2 cours and all). Just don't blame the light novel author over the anime. However, I find it extremely appalling that people have the audacity to tell others to read TenSura (which they assume others haven't) when they claim to not have read Maou Gakuin or even the entirety of TenSura either. All in all, I encourage people to actually read/watch both series (which I know based on people saying it) before they start preaching about how other people are incorrect which makes them look bad. Can a person who has read only one series give a real opinion on the other? No. Claiming Maou Gakuin fans are "pretending to be TenSura fans" really doesn't bring anything to the table. Attacking other people isn't a great look. And telling other people that TenSura is more popular literally brings nothing to the discussion. I guess this thread really was a bad idea.

Bonus: Someone also linked a video on Maou Gakuin so here is another one. I don't agree on all things of course. I'd recommend others to argue for themselves as well.​

However, I find it extremely appalling that people have the audacity to tell others to read TenSura (which they assume others haven't) when they claim to not have read Maou Gakuin or even the entirety of TenSura either. All in all, I encourage people to actually read/watch both series (which I know based on people saying it) before they start preaching about how other people are incorrect which makes them look bad. Can a person who has read only one series give a real opinion on the other? No. Claiming Maou Gakuin fans are "pretending to be TenSura fans" really doesn't bring anything to the table. Attacking other people isn't a great look. And telling other people that TenSura is more popular literally brings nothing to the discussion.
Given Metal debunked your points, yeah, it is pretty appropriate that if you were reading, you didn’t comprehend what was being said.

Especially since a majority of your points were “bigger boom boom explosion, more badass than smaller boom boom sword multiverse”, then yeah, such a thing doesn’t seem unwarranted.

Weapons in TenSura don't really get a spotlight and are not special. For example, Rimuru had a plain-looking mythical black katana (or something) that is made of some durable metal that doesn't do anything special (and Rimuru isn't really the best at swordfights either and barely gets by just because of Raphael/Ciel). Meanwhile, Anos has a god-like jet-black shadow sword that destroys the infinite and eternal and even reason and logic and looks very badass (can even fight against top swordsmans with his other swords through skill.) Weapons in Maou Gakuin also have secret depths (some have many) which do even more special things.

Like this is supposed to be a valid point, even though it’s just loud and wrong. You would be surprised that some of the best anime fights out are (normal) sword fights and hand-to-hand combat.

Anos and Rimuru are so cool with their abilities and weapons, meanwhile, Subaru in arc 7 of Re Zero, having an existential crisis:

132786.gif

"You are not a hero"

"You are not a hero"

"You are not a hero"

"You are not a hero"

"You are not a hero"

Jokes aside i enjoy both series, it's sad how toxic the rivalry is between both series.

I’m not understanding though. Misha, as far as I recall, didn’t hate her. Even as she got stabbed in the chest by her, she seemed more melancholy. Coupled with the fact she was to disappear at midnight on her 15th birthday, I can’t imagine why she went through the effort to stab her if they were going to refuse anyways.
You didn't understand Maou Gakuin basic plot..Yare,yare.

Given Metal debunked your points, yeah, it is pretty appropriate that if you were reading, you didn’t comprehend what was being said.

Especially since a majority of your points were “bigger boom boom explosion, more badass than smaller boom boom sword multiverse”, then yeah, such a thing doesn’t seem unwarranted.
what?

Back